Interior paint colors

4,169 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by OE_Ag11
johnrth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
White is always a safe color and will never go out of style. Beiges came and went but are grays going out of style? I need to repaint the entire interior of my house and Im leaning towards the grays. Problem is, is my house is an early 80s house so it's not an open concept and there are a ton of walls.

Should I find one color/shade that is used throughout the main areas? And then for the master is it weird to have one shade of gray and another shade of gray in the master bath?

Eta: the large brink fireplace in the living room was painted white and has a black front.
lb3
AG
Post removed:
by user
Aggie71013
AG
FWIW I'm in the process of repainting my entire house and going beige. Painting it for me and not resale value or trends. Personal preference that's likely unpopular: having an 80s or 90s house that is not at all modern on the outside and painting it gray and decorating ultra modern on the inside looks terrible.

Also some decorating blogs and magazines are saying gray is going out. Been popular for over a decade which is the usual life of a color trend. Not sure what the next trend will be though. Gray is likely what most buyers will still want.
The Dog Lord
AG
As others have mentioned, gray is still good. I'm sure something else will become more popular over time, but I can't ever see gray being an unsafe choice. White is the most classic option, but even beige is still acceptable for a lot of people (and preferred by some). The trick is usually not to have too much of any of them. Beige walls, carpet/floor, and cabinets are not a good look.
Quailmeezy
AG
Agreeable Gray SW7029 is the color you're looking for. We went through a ton of different grays and this one looked the best. The guy at Lowe's says it's one of the most popular colors and in fact the people in front of us in line were also getting it.

Looks great and clean in pretty much any room.
Slim Isle
SHerwin Williams "Creamy"
jtraggie99
AG
Painted almost the entire interior of my house grey last year. Most of it is kind of a medium grey (it was SW but don't remember the color names off the top of my head). One room (what we use as a small den/tv room) is almost black. I used a dark grey for my bedroom, with the same medium grey in my bathroom. The only exceptions were my kids rooms. My son wanted a dark blue and my daughters is mostly a light pink with a white accent wall. I even painted the exterior trim and siding a dark grey, which goes really well with the red brick.

Grey is a neutral and I can't see it completely going out of style. But it's paint and can always be changed.
shihitemuslim
AG
If you ever have an architect or interior designer do it they will give you a million shades of white to choose from.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Just painted brand new house with 4 different shades of gray. Looks good.
Mucho austin
AG
Quailmeezy said:

Agreeable Gray SW7029 is the color you're looking for. We went through a ton of different grays and this one looked the best. The guy at Lowe's says it's one of the most popular colors and in fact the people in front of us in line were also getting it.

Looks great and clean in pretty much any room.

Agreeable Gray is the best gray.

We have also used Amazing Gray and Greige.

Bonfire97
AG
I know grays are in style, but I find them depressing and I think it causes a house to look like office interiors. Check out the SW wool skein/relaxed khaki/universal khaki family. That's what we used along with some livable green in one of the bathrooms.
TMoney2007
AG
Unless you're planning on selling soon, why would you paint your house based on what other people like?
buddybee
Ben. Moore Revere Pewter is a great paint that is very popular. Great color in your home.
chick79
AG
We just remodeled the entire house and used SW 7016 (Mindful Gray). Love it!
TMoney2007
AG
My sister's house, my mother's house and the rent house we just renovated are all painted SW Worldly Gray.
Whoop Delecto
AG
TMoney2007
AG
WhoopRAB said:

There are probably 50 Shades of Gray.
^I see what you did there.
Oh Four Five
AG
We did our house about 2 years ago primarily using SW Repose Gray. Still very happy with it.
YellAg2004
AG
We did our remodel with SW First Star (which is a light grey).

As somebody above said, grey is a neutral, so you can pair almost anything with it. As such, I don't see it going out of style quickly. However, I also used to really like beige with dark cherry cabinets and now I cringe when I see that compared to our bright grey/white kitchen.

The style magazines always have to say something is coming into style or going out of style, otherwise they no longer have a purpose. I blame them for the attempted resurgence of gold/polished brass on hardware and fixtures.
ChoppinDs40
AG
"Perfect greige" from SW
The Dog Lord
AG
YellAg2004 said:

As somebody above said, grey is a neutral, so you can pair almost anything with it. As such, I don't see it going out of style quickly. However, I also used to really like beige with dark cherry cabinets and now I cringe when I see that compared to our bright grey/white kitchen.

The style magazines always have to say something is coming into style or going out of style, otherwise they no longer have a purpose. I blame them for the attempted resurgence of gold/polished brass on hardware and fixtures.

I've honestly been shocked by this. It seems like some shows/magazines still talk about them being outdated while others have started using them again as the new trendy option. It looks terrible.
Whoop Delecto
AG
Post removed:
by user
TMoney2007
AG
The Dog Lord said:

YellAg2004 said:

I've honestly been shocked by this. It seems like some shows/magazines still talk about them being outdated while others have started using them again as the new trendy option. It looks terrible.
At what point do honey color oak cabinets come back in style? I give it 5-10 more years.
agdaddy04
AG
Those were horrible
Post removed:
by user
Beckdiesel03
AG
Honey oak coming back into style would save me a ton of money on a kitchen remodel. We have a customer now who chose all brass and all honey oak on their brand new custom home. I wanted to cry and give her all my stuff and use her money for new stuff. Brutal
Post removed:
by user
Beckdiesel03
AG
That's isn't my job but we all are dying a little inside with her choices.
Beckdiesel03
AG
I realize I wasn't clear. I own a 2002 home with oak and very little brass left after replacing most of that after years here. I work for a builder who has a customer that chose all oak and all brass for a new home.
Slim Isle
Why do y'all all want the same cabinets, Countertops, interior colors, hardware and so on... Drives me crazy. The best part of going to your friend's home back in the day was to see everyone's style and taste. It was all different. Not now.

Not sure if it's still that way but I got really tired of hearing about granite countertops and stainless steel appliances in the last few years.

I'm not painting my walls gray and nobody is going to make me.
sleepybeagle
AG
Quote:

I'm not painting my walls gray and nobody is going to make me.
TMoney2007
AG
I would venture a guess that most people don't care about the style of their homes that much. Most homes are just going to have whatever was popular at the time that they were built.

I read an article on a design blog that said that the hot paint color for 2019 was white... Gee thanks.

Certain color palletes work better with different styles of house. Darker colors can make a small room feel even smaller, for instance. Wallpaper is the devil and I curse people who install it in a house that I have to live in/renovate, but paint is the easiest thing to change once you get into a house. Even the darkest colors can be covered up with enough layers of good primer.
Slim Isle
I don't worry about trends or what's popular. I just go with Classic and Timeless and I end up loving it every time.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.