Help me with my back yard landscaping

3,736 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Dill-Ag13
Dill-Ag13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have some bull rock in my rear landscaped bed ringed with slate/flagstone. The areas in red have ponding water in heavy rains. Over time leaves have gotten between the rocks and made it easier for weeds to grow. Needless to say it's becoming overrun and I want to fix it permanently. Ideally I'd just throw mulch on top of the bull rock and add another layer of slate around the sides. Any thoughts/opinions? Post the bull rock for free to anyone who can take as much as they can?

ABATTBQ11
AG
I say pull the rocks, wash them, and put them back, but that's me because I hate the look of mulch.
Dill-Ag13
AG
I just love the convenience of mulch and being able to just add more on top.

There's a good foot deep of rocks across that bed. It's absurd.
one MEEN Ag
AG
I'm no arborist, but I think your rocks are too high up against your tree trunk. Lots of people do this with mulch. Just sticks shooting straight out of a giant mulch mound. Trees need to have the flair of their base above ground.
Builder93
AG
Just take it out and let the grass grow up to the trees. You will have weeds in mulch also unless you constantly maintain it. It is correct that you should not stack the mulch up past the root flare. Live Oaks tolerate that condition better but I wouldn't do it with a pine. Cedar Elm, which I think is what is on the right will tolerate it also.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Thanks guys. HOA regs mean I have to have landscaping
03_Aggie
Dill-Ag13 said:

In your backyard?
ItsA&InotA&M
Dill-Ag13 said:

HOA? But those trees are in your backyard??

Remove the rocks and mulch, fertilize and water as needed and your trees will be much happier.

Dill-Ag13
AG
Yeah, neighbors have been called out for non-compliant back-yards
cevans_40
AG
Roundup the rocks?
one MEEN Ag
AG
cevans_40 said:

Roundup the rocks?

I believe they're already corralled.
WorkerBee
Very discreetly take some of the flagstone from around your trees and create a border for a bed around your ugly transformer. Remove grass from within the new bed. Apply landscape fabric. Plant some nice screening shrubs in the new bed so that the transformer can not be seen. Take rocks from bed around your trees and place in new bed. If you have kids make them move the rocks. Under cover of darkness slowly remove the remnants of the old bed, if anything is left. Covertly bring in some topsoil if needed and some sod - would recommend using the sod from the new bed to not draw attention. If your HOA says anything show them before and after pics. I cant imagine them saying you didnt improve the look of your backyard. Thanks!
rlb28
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

I say pull the rocks, wash them, and put them back, but that's me because I hate the look of mulch.
do this. but then replace with larger rock
Old School Brother
looks like you also have one of those dumba$$ HOAs that require the alternating fence panels. i don't think i could bring myself to live in one of those.
htxag09
AG
I'm amazed an HOA can make it mandatory to have flower beds around your trees in your backyard..... How is that even possible
Satellite of Love
Trees are a type of landscaping. Get rid of the other crap and put up an ornamental sign for nosy neighbors to kindly pound sand for peering into your PRIVATE backyard.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
FatZilla
AG
pull up rocks, put down a black fiber anti-weed mat, put rocks back. No more weeds for years
Guitarsoup
AG

If you get rid of the rocks, I'll load them in the Jetta and haul them away for you.
tgivaughn
AG
Free expert advice for the asking

https://www.kamufm.org/programs/garden-success-kamu-fmhd-1
IMHO and am sticking to it
Dill-Ag13
AG
htxag09 said:

I'm amazed an HOA can make it mandatory to have flower beds around your trees in your backyard..... How is that even possible

They can't. I did the research. I've posted the rocks up for free. Have had 3 people come and take all they wanted. Maybe 30% gone...
Dill-Ag13
AG
Bruh. Message me. Come get all you want
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.