Lawn Experts - Pre Emergent and Watering

1,599 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Picard
jtraggie99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Someone please settle a discussion with a neighbor . I've used pre-emergents for years. And yes, I am well aware you have to water it in after applying.

But, I was having a discussion with a neighbor, who has their lawn taken care of by a lawn company. Apparently, they are convinced that regular watering is essential to keeping pre-emergent activated (this is what they have been told by the lawn company). That even in winter months, if you go more than a week without water, it will render the pre-emergent ineffective. I have never heard this before in my life. I have no idea what said company is using, but is that true for some products? I just can't image that being true and never having heard it before.

Anyway, I was just curious. I know there are some that are in the turf management profession that frequent here.
TMfrisco
AG
Absolutely not correct. In fact, watering or rain will reduce the length of control of most preemergents - especially on sandy soils.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Spend the spring and summer building a thick healthy turf and you won't need all the pre-emergents. The overwhelmingly vast majority of what does will be dead as soon as the temps hit the 80s
jtraggie99
AG
Yeah, thanks guys. Pretty much what I thought.
Builder93
AG
I was always taught that pre emergents can be washed away.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
Ya, your neighbor is incorrect.
Yes, you need to get the pre emergent watered in so the active ingredient can come off the carrier (granular) and dissolved into the soil. No need for consistent watering for that to lengthen control. However, I have heard some chemical tech reps say that the AI acetochlor will "reactivate" with additional moisture. This is a common herbicide in cotton fields and I have never seen it do that.

As for not needing pre emergs if you have a thick healthy lawn.... I used to agree with that statement, however, there have been years when some weeds just show up out of no where!

heath aster is one that can show up time to time and I don't care how think your lawn is, that crap can be relentless! You can clearly tell who uses pre's and who doesn't.
Picard
AG
Your neighbor thinks they know what they're talking about AND uses a lawn company? Those two are usually mutually exclusive.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.