Just had replacement windows installed

4,842 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Sims
rlb28
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We've batted around getting them for 3 years. I was a little leery of using Window World since they are the cheapest around, but we couldn't be happier. Our salesman was great and he stopped by after they were done to see if we needed anything. The crews worked their butts off and the windows look great. If you need his name holla.
Whitetail
AG
Are the initials of the sales guy RLB?
rlb28
AG
LOL. Just an old being excited over nothing. Sitting in the room off my bedroom where i watch TV and it isn't cold in here and it's quiet.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Was there sheetrock or other repairs involved with the process? If so, did WW do it all?
rlb28
AG
No. The salesman thought there might be some, but everything worked out great. The crew leader walked me around to each window to show me that there wasn't any wood rot (the house was built in 1985) where the new windows were being put in. They used spray foam in areas because there were some voids.

The only thing I'll have to do is paint the window sills and scrape and spackle a little to paint where I took down the old window coverings (mini-blinds, etc..) that we don't need now that our windows don't look like crap.

So obviously last night was the first night with the windows. Noise was completely negated and our master bath and the laundry room weren't cold this morning.

We'll for sure end up doing the remaining windows.
DallasAggies01
AG
Do you mind sharing a ball park cost per window?

I've got 8 3x5 windows I want to replace with impact double or single hung. The closest store to me is 70 miles away. I hate having a guy come out to give a bid then tell him I'll have to wait a few months because it's more than I currently budgeted for.
rlb28
AG
DallasAggies01 said:

Do you mind sharing a ball park cost per window?

I've got 8 3x5 windows I want to replace with impact double or single hung. The closest store to me is 70 miles away. I hate having a guy come out to give a bid then tell him I'll have to wait a few months because it's more than I currently budgeted for.
$375-$400 with Window World. We have some left to do and when the salesman came to check on the job my wife asked him to ballpark the remaining windows and he told her $375-$400 for regular, basic windows.

I have some crazy big widows and arch tops and we wanted architectural bronze instead of white on the outside. We paid $6,300 for 11 windows.
DallasAggies01
AG
Thanks. That's actually a bit less than I was budgeting.
MrJonMan
AG
we are in the same boat.....keep talking about doing it. However no way I'm doing all of them at once, we have 33 windows
Lone Star Pest Control Service, Inc. Call for special Pricing!
dubi
AG
MrJonMan said:

we are in the same boat.....keep talking about doing it. However no way I'm doing all of them at once, we have 33 windows
You should buy a new house!
Gary79Ag
AG
dubi said:

MrJonMan said:

You should buy a new house!
Or close in some windows...
evan_aggie
AG
That's a great deal. I've had Andersen and Pella tell me $28,000+ for 14 windows.

Did they remove the old window and insert into the remaining frame? Meaning, they took out the sashes, and put in a new frame within the existing frame?

dubi
AG
evan_aggie said:

That's a great deal. I've had Andersen and Pella tell me $28,000+ for 14 windows.

Did they remove the old window and insert into the remaining frame? Meaning, they took out the sashes, and put in a new frame within the existing frame?

My mom's replacement windows were the entire window including the frame.
evan_aggie
AG
If that's true, then I assume they had to remove any trim around the window to remove the entire frame?

Was this also through WW?
dubi
AG
evan_aggie said:

If that's true, then I assume they had to remove any trim around the window to remove the entire frame?

Was this also through WW?
I'm not explaining this well.

Pretend like they took a dremel all the way around the visible part of the window frame.

Out goes the old and in goes the new. So the 2x4's are not exposed and the trim is not removed. They are called "replacement" windows.
evan_aggie
AG
Yes. I believe 95% of window replacements remove the sash, and insert a new entire unit / frame within the old existing frame.

It's the quickest and easiest solution, but I also think you end up losing 1-2" of glass all around.
rlb28
AG
evan_aggie said:

Yes. I believe 95% of window replacements remove the sash, and insert a new entire unit / frame within the old existing frame.

It's the quickest and easiest solution, but I also think you end up losing 1-2" of glass all around.
this is what they did. frames are larger. they had to cut and break all the glass out, then crumple the aluminum frame the best they could and pull it out.
Whoop Delecto
AG
Aggie71013
AG
My house has 32 windows. Been debating on replacements but was budgeting closer to $500-600 on average. Your quote terrifies me.
Rexter
We used Superior Windows out of Conroe. $11K for 18 windows. No outside noise any more, and utility bill dropped 40% in the summer.
evan_aggie
AG
Yeah, but that was Pella direct in central Austin. They are doing windows for people that don't care about a $28,000 quote vs a $18,000 quote.

I will say: nice semi hybrid wood/clad windows with simulated internal grilles and external wood will actually cost $600-$1000.

PlyGem or Windsor Vinyl are very affordable.
OE_Ag11
AG
Was re doing the windows in my house the same time as the siding since had some broken and siding damaged from hail storm. Paying 3200 for argon filled double pane plygem windows installed. 8 total. 2 orange peel privacy windows that 2x3 single hung. 1 4x2 tempered glass orange peel privacy window, and 5 3ftx6ft sliders.
Sims
AG
We've got a quote for roughly $15k for 20 windows. House was built in the mid-60's. I halfway expect them to find some wood rot in the frame and when I asked he said they'd replace any damaged wood as part of the quoted price.

We're looking at Kensington Kingston windows. Vinyl, double hung, upgraded glass.

I'm in Fort Worth. Any thoughts on the quote?

We have a quote from Window World at $4.83 (Actually $8k). I wasn't there to talk with that salesman so I'm not sure it's apples to apples.

We have another company coming out next week..hopefully that will make things more clear about what Window World is quoting.
Hold on honey, there are people on the internet that are wrong.
evan_aggie
AG
https://www.bestpickreports.com/blog/post/how-to-decide-between-insert-and-full-frame-replacement-windows/

One is probably full-frame and the other inserts.

ReelDeal
AG
We have been installing Wincore Windows for about 10-12 years without any problems. 5400 and 7700 series on brick replacement windows. In fact I installed my new home with these 2 years ago.

https://wincorewindows.com/products/windows/window-styles/double-hung/#5400

On average, we are getting around $450/window for ~3050 size single story Grimes county area. That includes removal of window and disposal of trash. Sealing outside window/brick with Polyurethane sealant. Re-caulking inside with painter's caulk or colored silicone. Hope that helps.
dubi
AG
ReelDeal said:

We have been installing Wincore Windows for about 10-12 years without any problems. 5400 and 7700 series on brick replacement windows. In fact I installed my new home with these 2 years ago.

https://wincorewindows.com/products/windows/window-styles/double-hung/#5400

On average, we are getting around $450/window for ~3050 size single story Grimes county area. That includes removal of window and disposal of trash. Sealing outside window/brick with Polyurethane sealant. Re-caulking inside with painter's caulk or colored silicone. Hope that helps.
$450 is the window cost and the installation?

I could not find pricing on their website.
ReelDeal
AG
Yes, $450 is the average cost of both window and installation. I don't know if they sell online. I purchase them from supply houses namely ABC Supply and Southern Shingles.
Sims
AG
So we're set on using black frames with grid inserts. I have a Don Young aluminum quote just over 20k for 21 windows. 2 large bay windows, brick house.

I'm sure some of that price is market premium and some of it is me not doing a good job negotiating just not sure how much of either.

Our quotes have all added 5 - 6k pretty consistently for the black color.

Should I keep looking for other quotes?
dubi
AG
Quote:

So we're set on using black frames with grid inserts.

What color is your house?

Personally I would not pay an extra $5k for a black frame. Also we used grid inserts on a house remodel and if I were to do it again, I would have not done that.
rlb28
AG
Sims said:

So we're set on using black frames with grid inserts. I have a Don Young aluminum quote just over 20k for 21 windows. 2 large bay windows, brick house.

I'm sure some of that price is market premium and some of it is me not doing a good job negotiating just not sure how much of either.

Our quotes have all added 5 - 6k pretty consistently for the black color.

Should I keep looking for other quotes?
We paid extra for black, but not that much. Black looks great.
Sims
AG
Red brick house, black roof.

I think the black windows would look great w red brick.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.