Paint or floors first?

2,340 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 91AggieLawyer
aggie4christ22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We are redoing the carpet and painting our house to get it ready to sell in the next year while we build a new house on our land. I have heard varying opinions on which to do first and just wanted to check here before we move ahead.

We are installing laminate in the kitchen, formal living/dining (where carpet used to be) and carpet everywhere else. My dad and the flooring guy say to do the laminate first, then paint, then carpet.
The painters say do all the flooring first then paint.

What say you?
Aggieangler93
AG
To me, order doesn't really matter, as you are going to tape off the trim or dropcloth it when you paint anyway, assuming you don't pull the trim. If you are pulling the trim, why not paint first?
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Win At Life
AG
I did this and painted first. Why not so you don't have to worry about splattering on the floor. The reason floor guys want to go first is that they frequently accidentally mark up the walls with tools or hands. Just keep so paint to do touch ups and expect to go this without getting in a twist about it.
Aggietaco
AG
Paint first, then do flooring, then touch up paint on the base that gets damaged from the flooring install.

Realistically, it won't matter in a home.
TMoney2007
AG
Paint first,... The painters are going to put down drop cloths, but why worry about it?
Tumble Weed
Paint first. Saves a ton of time.
JP76
Floor is always last.

By doing it before you create much more extra work for the other trades and run the risk of creating damage to it.
cevans_40
AG
JP76 said:

Floor is always last.

By doing it before you create much more extra work for the other trades and run the risk of creating damage to it.

This is my pet peeve about builders and trim guys today. They will install and paint all of the base boards and then lay the flooring up next to it and then slap a piece of quarter round down and call it good. I hate quarter round stacked next to baseboards. All because the painters don't want to do some touch ups on the baseboards.
The Kraken
AG
If it's a good painter who covers everything and avoids getting any paint on anything, paint last can be a good option as you eliminate the need for touch ups after the flooring is installed. Depending on type of paint and the color sometimes touch ups can be tricky.
TMoney2007
AG
cevans_40 said:

JP76 said:

Floor is always last.

This is my pet peeve about builders and trim guys today. They will install and paint all of the base boards and then lay the flooring up next to it and then slap a piece of quarter round down and call it good. I hate quarter round stacked next to baseboards. All because the painters don't want to do some touch ups on the baseboards.
I avoid having quarter round if I can help it. If I'm doing baseboards at the same time that I do flooring I'll go without.

The profile of the baseboard and the type of flooring can affect it too. If the baseboard is too narrow and you're installing some kind of floating floor it's possible that the baseboard wouldn't cover the entire gap and you'll have to use show molding.
91AggieLawyer
AG
If you're asking for opinions, I have to ask: why are you painting and replacing the floors in a house you're selling? What if you pick something the buyer doesn't like and will want replaced? Why don't you offer a painting and flooring allowance in the sale price?

The owners of my current house put in a floor and did a shoddy paint job prior to selling. Guess what we had to do: rip it up and repaint. Don't make that mistake. Buyers are smart enough to see beyond flooring and color they don't necessarily want. Most people want to change things anyway when they buy. Ripping up brand new stuff is unsettling.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.