CO alarm ever go off?

1,437 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AgTech88
JSKolache
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Smoke/CO detector went off at 230am 2 days ago (on 19ft ceiling .. joy of joys...) I reset it and moved to an easier access ceiling. It hasnt gone off again. I got it about a year ago to replace a smoke only unit. Wondering if it was a nuisance alarm or if I need to get an inspector out. Anyone have issues witn these combo units?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Spark a cigarette lighter beneath it for a few seconds and see if it responds properly. Probably better is to hold it over your gas range while the burner is on. Cigarette lighter might set off the smoke alarm part, but natural gas should not.
Dr. Venkman
AG
Which alarm is it sounding? Smoke or CO?
MasterOfNone
There might be a label on the back of the detector that may help you determine if it is alarming due to CO or Smoke. I would also make sure it is clean and change the battery. If you don't see or smell smoke then I would be more concerned with the possibility of CO. Buying a new CO Alarm may be cheaper than calling in an inspector.
JSKolache
AG
Dr. Venkman said:

Which alarm is it sounding? Smoke or CO?
It was definitely CO alarm sounding, based on the beep pattern.

Have a coworker whose went off the same night - weird...
62strat
AG
A CO monitor at 19' in the air? Sounds worthless, considering CO is heavier than air.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, I prefer to keep the CO alarms separate and lower. I've got combos in our bedrooms, but like to keep "CO only" alarms lower, especially near the appliances that would create a CO issue.
AgTech88
AG
In my experience CO alarms ware out quicker than smoke alarms - have a couple over the years (including a new 6 Mo old version just last week) fail sooner than expected. If you get more than 1 or 2 questionable alarms just swap it out .....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.