Lawn help needed. dallas

1,908 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cevans_40
Matsui
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've noticed this has exploded over the last few weeks. Sorta embarrassed as I take notice of things like this quickly usually.

I'm in Dallas. When I pull on the brown part it's all dead just comes up. My yard appears to be a mix of zyoicia grass and st Augustine. Tips of greener parts appear to be brown

Other side of yard not effected

txag2008
AG
Easily pulling out usually indicates cinch bugs or grub worms, but I don't know how common that would be this time of the year.
Matsui
AG
Some sort of fungus maybe? Brown patch?
txag2008
AG
I would say brown patch except for the fact that you said the grass pulls out easy.
FincAg
AG
This was a post from a couple weeks ago.

https://neilsperry.com/2019/10/brown-patch-arrives/
Caesar4
AG
Another excerpt from a Neil Sperry article:
Quote:

Symptoms of grub damage: by late September and October, grass may begin to look dry in irregular blotches (as opposed to the round, brown 18- or 24-inch spots caused by brown patch fungus). If you pull on the grass, and if grub worms are present, the turf will come loose, runners and all. The grubs will have devoured the roots. As a comparison, grass that's been impacted by brown patch will pull loose easily, too, but only the dead leaf blades. Brown patch is a leaf disease only. Runners remain firmly attached to the soil.

In 2018 we had an unusual fall outbreak of take all root rot. Normally TARR is a spring-only disease (April and May). Its symptoms mimic those of grub damage. The grass comes up easily when pulled on, but the notable difference is that there are no grubs present with TARR.

It is highly unlikely that you will able to justify pesticide applications for white grub worms in 2019! They just aren't that common in outbreak numbers. Be sure the grass is impacted. Be certain you find the grubs, and be sure you have them present in sufficient quantities to do harm.

The treatments
It is very rare, in 2019, that you will see turf damaged by white grub worms. But if you do, apply a labeled insecticide that lists white grub worms clearly on its label. Apply the spray or granules carefully and evenly across the entire lawn, then water deeply to carry them 2 to 3 inches into the soil. Treatments must be made in summer or early fall. Grubs' feeding stops as the soil turns cold in November, and by spring they'll be in copper-colored pupal cases changing into the adult beetles.
https://neilsperry.com/2019/09/grub-worms-the-whole-story/

Matsui
AG
I applied stuff to kill brown patch!
cevans_40
AG
Grub damage will pull up like newly laid sod. Brownpatch damage causes the leaf blades to come off of the stem cleanly at the base of each leaf.
babyshark
Matsui said:

You'll need to do it more than once. I bet it started at least a month ago. Look for it again next spring/summer and don't wait so long to treat.
cevans_40
AG
babyshark said:

Matsui said:

You'll need to do it more than once. I bet it started at least a month ago. Look for it again next spring/summer and don't wait so long to treat.

Curious as to why you think this?
cevans_40
AG
That looks like TARR to me. Did it turn lime green before turning brown? And did you apply preemergent (if so, what kind and how much)?
water turkey
Apply fungicide multiple times.

Top dress with some compost.
cevans_40
AG
water turkey said:

Apply fungicide multiple times.

Top dress with some compost.

The fungus is not active at these low temps. Top dressing this time of year is not a good idea. If it is TARR, granular sulfur will be just as effective as any fungicide.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.