Crown Molding Installation?

1,910 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bkag9824
AggieDruggist89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How hard is it if I have proper tools?

9ft ceiling throughout.
Builder93
AG
It s a pain by yourself if it's your first time. Buy extra. You will cut it wrong several times.
Tumble Weed
I put up some up in an old house. I also figured out which walls were not straight, which made it very complex. Air tools make all the difference.
Vernada
AG
Definitely. Buy one of those 'cheap' pancake compressor sets.

I think I got one during the holidays years ago for $100.
Birddog
AG
I put up CM and never had any experience. Look on Youtube to help with inside and outside cuts and then make a short template to keep handy for reference on how to set up the saw.

As already said, buy a little more than you need, Lowes and HD, you can return what you don't use.

Paint it before you install. You will find out where your ceiling and walls are not perfectly square or straight, I just calked the gaps and painted over and it looks great.

I have a compressor and brad nailer and that made for easy install.

AggieDruggist89
AG
Thank you
ABATTBQ11
AG
Buy a wall angle finder. It will help with unsquare corners.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Kreg makes a jig/ kit.

Comes with jig to cut and angle finder. I think about 20 bucks.

Compound miter saw, small air compressor, Brad nailer (1.5 to 2 in length) and air hose.

Short step stool.

~egon
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Practice coped cuts on a scrap before you try it on the real thing....plenty of YouTube videos to help out on this.

Buy pre-primed crown.

Mark your studs before you put it up.

Caulk and bondo (if you really screwed up) hide a multitude of sins.

As mentioned, a second set of hands is helpful....in my case, that set of hands was 8 months pregnant and kinda pissed the nursery was not finished.
AggieDruggist89
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Ceiling texture can be a pain to deal with. Make sure your cm is flush against both the wall and ceiling, otherwise you may find the cm joints do not match up.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
Dr. Doctor
AG
Another trick I did was to make two types of joints: inner and outer. They are about 6" long on each leg and I use them to mark the corners so I know the CM is flat/level.

Also serves as a guide/rememberance when cutting. You can make sure you're cutting the right way before messing up.

The corner pieces might have been me messing up at first....

~egon
YellAg2004
AG
West Texas Lawyer said:

Practice coped cuts on a scrap before you try it on the real thing....plenty of YouTube videos to help out on this.

Buy pre-primed crown.

Mark your studs before you put it up.

Caulk and bondo (if you really screwed up) hide a multitude of sins.

As mentioned, a second set of hands is helpful....in my case, that set of hands was 8 months pregnant and kinda pissed the nursery was not finished.
This.

Also, get the Kreg jig. It is definitely worth it. One word of warning though, the first thing you do with it is set the wall angle of your crown (explained in the directions). If that is off, even by a degree or two, no matter how accurate you are with your measurements and cuts, your corners will not come together correctly. Ask me how I know...

I nailed those 1"x furring strips you can get at HD or Lowes to the top plate of the walls. Then I nailed the top part of the crown into those strips and the bottom part into the wall studs (that I marked ahead of time with painter's tape).

I know some people are able to do it without a helper, but I'm not sure how...especially when you're working with a long piece.
Aggieangler93
AG
I've done a dozen rooms of crown myself. It's not real hard if you are handy, at least with anything I have run into. A good compound mitre saw helps and I always buy 2 or 3 sticks extra. They will take back what you don't cut, but having to go get one last piece to finish the job is a pain. I also bought mine primed in most cases, and I painted it prior to putting it up. Then just caulk it and touch up paint where needed.

It is easy with two people and a nail gun. One person makes it much harder for very long runs, but I have also done it solo.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
AggieDruggist89
AG
Harbor Freight Mitre Saw for $100-$200 OK u think??
Dr. Doctor
AG
Yes
JP76
AggieDruggist89 said:

Harbor Freight Mitre Saw for $100-$200 OK u think??

The harbor freight miter saws typically have really short fences which makes cutting crown more difficult. This is a great saw for trim with a decent blade and a heck of price with the Black Friday sale. You can also buy crown stops for the dewalt which make it even easier for cutting crown.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-12-in-15-Amp-Single-Bevel-Compound-Corded-Miter-Saw/1001053564

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Miter-Saw-Crown-Stops-DW7084/202516701?mtc=Shopping-B-F_D25T-B-D25T-25_9_PORTABLE_POWER-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-PortablePower&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D25T-B-D25T-25_9_PORTABLE_POWER-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-PortablePower-71700000034362724-58700003947733499-92700048912678530&msclkid=7744fe62fa8b1f9de9b7a3a5a613ce4b&gclid=CK28lKi03uUCFZPiDQodi78Iww&gclsrc=ds
bkag9824
AG
For your extra hand:

https://www.amazon.com/FastCap-Crown-Molding-Clip-4-Pack/dp/B07Y8LQKDG

Watch this series of videos to get an idea of the right way to do it:

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.