Take down and rebuilding storage shed

4,701 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CapCity12thMan
91AggieLawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My dad bought and had assembled one of those Home Depot (I think) buy and build storage sheds about 15 years ago when my parents bought their house in Waco. I don't recall what brand it is -- I think I recall seeing it one time when I was in there. It isn't on a concrete slab. Anyway, my dad passed back in July and my mom will likely be going to a care facility by the end of the year. We'll sell the house at some point. I need to clean out the shed and get rid of most of what is in it, but I was thinking: would it be worth it to disassemble it and bring it up to my house (in DFW)? I don't have a shed, could use it, and would be willing to hire someone down there to help me disassemble and someone up here to help put it back up IF that would be cheaper than just buying one.

That's where I need an estimate from those that have put one of those in and hopefully someone who might have taken one down. Plus, since it has been sitting there for over a decade, would it even be worth it?

The more I think about it, the more I'm probably not going to do it, but just wondering where the pitfalls are if I do decide to do it. My winter activities slow down and this is the time of the year I can do it if at all.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Probably a Tuff shed. I bought one from the tuff shed retailer in WACO a couple years ago. Got an 8x10 delivered and installed by their crew for $1800. A few years ago I built one from scratch on my own with hep of my dad and it cost me about 2k plus 3 weeks of labor.

They shipped it from Dallas area to install. My opinion is that it would be a selling point for the house and is cheaper/easier to buy new.
ABATTBQ11
AG
It all really depends on the size and condition of the shed, floor, etc. If it's not too wide, you might be able to just lift it off the footings and move it as a whole unit on a trailer. I'd take the windows of first though. Cost is size and feature dependent. Mostly roof type, number of windows, doors, etc.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Pretty much impossible to move as a whole. Not only is there a fence there is a carport as the garage was closed in, so it would take a crane to lift it.

After thinking about it, I've realized that after I and someone else take it down, move it up here, and then reassemble it, I can likely build my own with less effort. Maybe a little more cost, but taking the roof off the current one would likely be a nightmare. I don't think removing the existing one will affect the sale of the house much but it won't hurt to leave it. It is still in good shape as far as I can tell and removal and reassembly might affect that.

Thanks for the input. One of those ideas that really isn't that good after some thought goes into it but it was worth a shout out.
62strat
AG
I built my own 7x8 shed to match my house and it was under $1000.

I don't think it would be worth it to move, considering you have 2x the amount of labor than just building one from scratch.
BrazosDog02
AG
You can build a new one with new materials for way less than one of those things and the quality will be way better. I wouldn't fool with moving it.
CapCity12thMan
AG
I moved into a house with a $3500 tuff shed in the backyard. It was in < 16 months of age and in great shape. It was 10x8 or 12x8, with 2 windows and a single slope slanted roof. It was so nice someone paid me $800, came over and disassembled the sections, hauled it off and rebuilt it on their property.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.