Question about furnace filter

1,064 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Seersucker Ag 2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Question about furnace filters from an idiot:

With the cold weather coming, I'm attempting to replace furnace filters, as I'm told I should do, and should have done many times since owning my house.

I've gone into the attic and looked at both systems (upstairs and downstairs) and have no clue where a filter would be. I've watched countless videos online and am unable to find systems that look anything like mine. I have a Carrier and a Coleman (yes, they make systems for houses that aren't on wheels). Each system has a door in front that opens to the computer but I see no filter or anywhere that a filter would go.

What am I missing? Does the fact that I have return air grilles mean I won't have filters to change in the attic? Probably a stupid question but I know nothing and I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Your filter might be in the return. Mine are. Shine a light into the return and see. You should be able to tell without even opening them, but opening is easy.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
I do have filters in the return air grille, and I change those every few months. Is that what you mean? If I have filters there, do I not also have filters in the system in the attic?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
You likely do not have fillers in your attic then. They're usually one or the other. Use a quality pleated filter and change at least every 3 months. More often during period of high use.
Sazerac
AG
I think most just have return filters.

house I just moved into has 1" return (change 1-3 months) AND a 4" furnace filter (6 months) for both units. I thought that was pretty strange and not sure it's necessary or even good (too much static pressure?).

EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
We end up seeing a lot of 20 year old Furnace filters that have never been replaced.. Most don't know they exist
Sazerac
AG
so many systems today will have both?
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
EcoZapp.Makes.Crisp.Air said:

We end up seeing a lot of 20 year old Furnace filters that have never been replaced.. Most don't know they exist
Yep, that's my fear!
Dr. Venkman
AG
cclearman said:

I think most just have return filters.

house I just moved into has 1" return (change 1-3 months) AND a 4" furnace filter (6 months) for both units. I thought that was pretty strange and not sure it's necessary or even good (too much static pressure?).
This is what I do. $1 filter in the return every month. 4" filter at the unit every year. I can see through the cheap 1" one so I assume it doesn't cause any air flow issues. Just there to collect big stuff.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
- If you have a media filter , we change those every 6 months- and advise to buy the cheapest for the 1 inch ' IF any'.

A Good Filter + a Media Filter will usually strain the system and cause issues latter.

A Cheap Filter catching pet hair is good though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.