Dfw foundation repair recommendation

1,783 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by khaos288
khaos288
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy ags, anyone know of or run a foundation repair company?

Been having some weird cracks and we've got a big retaining wall, so wanted to get a pro to look at it.

Thanks for any help!
Gary79Ag
AG
Recommend you get a civil engineer to look at your issues and assess them before having a foundation repair company quote you something you may not even need.

Saying that as I've been there and done that. Had 2 foundation repair companies recommend 11 and 22 piers, respectively. A civil engineer checked my house and recommended a slap leak test be performed. I following his guidance and sure enough, that's what my main issue was (drain line under tub broke and was leaking water under the center of the house). Would of wasted tens of thousands had I not got his input.
khaos288
AG
Oh. Wow. That's a great tip, thank you!

I'll amend my statement. Is anyone, or does anyone know a good civil engineer in dfw?
AnchorFoundation
You're going about it the right way, using a community that looks out for each other to find a good source of information.

You can also amend the request to look for a good, reputable, trustworthy, honest foundation repair company.

We may be rare, but we do exist... maybe just harder to find in your area.
khaos288
AG
Haha you may know a guy eh?
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
Dawson Foundation Repair. Installed 23 bellbottom piers over the last week at our house. If you do have to have repairs, stay away from pressed pilings.
OldArmyBrent
AG
What's wrong with pressed pilings?
AnchorFoundation
OldArmyBrent said:

What's wrong with pressed pilings?
Where to begin...

Admittedly I am biased, but I can't say it any better than the late Skip Coody:

https://1k4jgynvq9v421z3muuee79m-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/engineering-documents/pressed_pile_system-Coody-Kruhl.pdf

Bottom of page 3 will get to the conclusions if not interested in the full report.
OldArmyBrent
AG
Very helpful. My non-engineer reading of that is that the pressed piles sucks for a couple reasons. First, they aren't anchored to each other or the bottom of the hole they create. That means the segments can separate if the foundation is somehow lifted and the foundation then won't have resistance to that force. Second, and this is the strangest part, the moisture content of clay soils moves too much to be useful. If it dries out, you lose friction and things move. If it gets wetter, things expand and then stuff moves. Seems like an idea that never really got tested before being used in the market.

Did I get that right?
AnchorFoundation
Well said and clearly explained. It doesn't take much to see where issues can arise with the PPS.

Another great resource if you want to geek out on it:

http://www.a-1engineering.com/foundationengineering.htm

They've seen a lot in their area and have always been good about putting out the facts on different tactics, techniques, and procedures in the foundation repair industry.
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
little late to respond, but Anchor has certainly nailed it. I actually used this info to educate myself before the repairs were done. For all its complexities, it was actually pretty simple to compare the two methods and see which one I'd rather have supporting my home. Currently have 23 bell bottoms poured and we are in the waiting period for it to cure before the lift. The average Joe probably only cares that it comes with a lifetime transferable warranty. The PPS will fail at some point and they'll come fix/adjust it. No telling what damage will be done to other portions of the home that are not covered by the warranty. In my experience through this, it wasn't even an option after I educated myself on the PPS vs Bell bottom. I was nervous about the cost, but Dawson actually came in UNDER every other quote I had received (5 total quotes). I highly encourage anyone with foundation issues to go the bell bottom route.
khaos288
AG
CypressCPAg said:

little late to respond, but Anchor has certainly nailed it. I actually used this info to educate myself before the repairs were done. For all its complexities, it was actually pretty simple to compare the two methods and see which one I'd rather have supporting my home. Currently have 23 bell bottoms poured and we are in the waiting period for it to cure before the lift. The average Joe probably only cares that it comes with a lifetime transferable warranty. The PPS will fail at some point and they'll come fix/adjust it. No telling what damage will be done to other portions of the home that are not covered by the warranty. In my experience through this, it wasn't even an option after I educated myself on the PPS vs Bell bottom. I was nervous about the cost, but Dawson actually came in UNDER every other quote I had received (5 total quotes). I highly encourage anyone with foundation issues to go the bell bottom route.

Do you have their contact? I found a few online under that name
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
https://www.dawsonfoundationrepair.com/

Tons of additional info for you to read through. Always happy to answer questions about the process or my experiences.

khaos288
AG
Thanks!
ntxaggie
I know I am late, but we used Tolson Engineering based on recs from TexAgs. (972) 783-9211

Based on his report and advice, we then used Uretek to inject fill after a "completed" slab leak repair.
flown-the-coop
AG
How old is home? If within 10 years, then you need to hit up the builder and file a warranty claim. Doing anything prior to that may let them off the hook for a sticky situation.
khaos288
AG
flown-the-coop said:

How old is home? If within 10 years, then you need to hit up the builder and file a warranty claim. Doing anything prior to that may let them off the hook for a sticky situation.

2005 unfortunately
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.