Water coming through the house.

2,018 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ag_of_08
Ag_of_08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well after catastrophic near record setting rainfall round number two.... I'm sitting here watching water passing through the house. It's about an inch at this point.

If it doesn't get the sheetrock wet, do we still need to cut out around the baseboards, or just let things dry?

Brick home, wooden frame inside. Floor will have to be pulled up, its vinyl click lock planks.
Post removed:
by user
Ag_of_08
AG
That's what I was thinking, butnwanted to make sure before I attacked things with a zip saw.

Were currently up to close to 30 inches of rainfall here and rising, this has actually passed harvey...
AggieHusker
AG
During Harvey we had about 1" of water in our home also. What Sasappis describes is exactly what we did. However, we cut all the interior walls as well. The sheet rock was so saturated we didn't want to leave any of it. Some people were telling us that we had to cut at least 12-18" up. We didn't and haven't had any issues just cutting at the baseboard.

Also, another suggestion on the door trim. We cut the door trim just above the height of the base board and replaced with a block. Sort of like this image (not my image)...

Other things we noticed:
1. We had an electrical outlet on the floor; obviously that cavity in the slab filled-up with water. If you have any, pay attention to that.

2. The kitchen island cabinets sit directly on the slab. Then tiled around the cabinet. So basically there was 1/4" cavity that filled with water under the entire cabinet. We had to do some demo on the cabinets so we could soak up the water and then had to do some repair on the cabinets.

Good luck!
AggieHusker
AG
Other thoughts...

1. After the sheetrock was cut out, I sprayed all the lower parts of the studs with Concrobium. Not sure if necessary, but piece of mind.

2. Make sure to let everything dry out completely before starting repairs. We ran several dehumidifiers, fans, and ran the AC at 68 for several days.

3. Consider getting a wood moisture meter to check the moisture levels in the studs before starting repairs. We didn't do this, but I know of others that flooded that did just to make sure.

4. Pull out any wet insulation and replace. Not worth running the risk of mold; fairly cheap to replace.
TexAg1987
Ag_of_08 said:

Well after catastrophic near record setting rainfall round number two.... I'm sitting here watching water passing through the house. It's about an inch at this point.

If it doesn't get the sheetrock wet, do we still need to cut out around the baseboards, or just let things dry?

Brick home, wooden frame inside. Floor will have to be pulled up, its vinyl click lock planks.
Depends on the detail of your house, but frequently the sheetrock runs down to, or just above, the floor and the base board is on top.

Sheetrock will wick the water up from behind the baseboard.

Ag_of_08
AG
Thank yall for the suggestion.

We didn't have baseboards in, we got screwed so badly after Harvey that the house wasn't done.

I'm finally able to get back to the house from the station, a friend came and helped mom pull up a lot of the floor, and we're shooting to cut out as soon as we get word from insurance. We may cut at 4ft and re-insulate for safety's sake. I'm gonna pull the cabinets away from the walls, we'll see from there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.