Roof deck leak - mold inspection

1,117 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BTD
BTD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Own a townhome with a roof deck and it has leaked in the past. Had the roof deck completely gutted and rebuilt this month. During the rebuild got some water in the house from a heavy rain, resulting in drywall and ceiling damage (and insulation). Prior to having the dry wall and ceilings repaired I want to evaluate the extent of damage and that there's nothing additional such as mold.

Is visual inspection by me / contractor good enough for this or should I be getting a professional to come out and test for mold?

The latter gives me piece of mind, but was unsure if that was overkill if there are no signs of mold when cutting away drywall?

Any insight is appreciated.

edit: [from reading other threads it sounds like don't test, rather remediate as part of repairs]
BrazosDog02
AG
You (more than likely) have nothing to worry about. Roofs leak. They leak for years sometimes. I did one in San Antonio that required 23 sheets of decking. It had leaked for over 5-7 years. Mold is a problem when things STAY wet. Roofs in Texas don't stay wet for long. If your decking had mold, it would have been corrected when the roofer redecked the rotting portions. If, during the job he ay rain ruined a bunch of stuff inside, let it dry, spray it with Concrobium, and repair/replace. If you have no active leaks now, you should easily be good to go.

I've seen some scary stuff in and around Houston as a roofer, but generally speaking it takes a lot of water over a long time to cause actual mold problems.

From a personal standpoint, I had a pinhole leak in a copper pipe in my wall at home. It may have leaked for a month. It slowly soaked my oak floors, oak trim, and wicked up the drywall. I fixed the leak, soaked everything I could in concrobium, and left it open for at least three weeks. Even my bowed hardwood floor dried up and flattened out. The mold cleared up from the spray and I've not had a single issue.
lotsofhp
AG
I'll echo was Brazos said. As long as it isn't leaking anymore, it should dry out and be ok
BTD
Thanks guys
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.