Garage door won't close from any transmitter.

2,321 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Whens lunch
1208HawkTree
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Started all of a sudden about a week ago. Older Chamberlain/Liftmaster chain drive model.

Opens normally from my truck's programmed button, the OEM transmitter in my wife's car, and OEM wireless keypad outside of the garage.

Will not close from any of the same units. Will close only by pushing the button on the hardwired base inside the garage.

It's not even attempting to close aside from using the button in the garage. The lights do not flash, and the sensors are clear and functioning properly (light comes on when beam is interrupted, etc.

I'm stumped...
AtlAg05
AG
I'd try to clear the codes and reprogram your remotes, see if that helps.
Flashdiaz
AG
I had the same issue pop up and found it was due to new LED bulbs I replaced in the garage. Apparently some LEDs interfere with some wireless frequencies.
1208HawkTree
AG
No new bulbs, but I did put brighter bulbs in about a year ago (I think they are incandescent, too). I will take them out and see if that makes a difference. I have also tried resetting the codes. No change.
1208HawkTree
AG
EDIT: That was a temporary, partial fix. Other than the keypad, nothing works still. Maybe bad motherboard?

Ok, I'm a dumbass. Or my kids are. Or my wife is. More me, because I didn't think of it until today, but I pressed the "lock" button and the keypad worked fine right away, so apparently someone had hit it by accident, or out of curiosity.

New problem, my wife's remote still doesn't work, and it won't sync with the opener when I try to reprogram it. Sucks double because I need the remote to program the button inside my truck.

At least we can get into the garage now without going through the side door.
1208HawkTree
AG
Picked up a new remote and still nothing, so I think my Friday is now going to involve installing a new opener.
Garage Door Pro
Hi 1208 Hawktree,

I'm Chris with Aggieland garage door. Did you ever get your issue resolved?

If not, I can come take a look free of charge.

Chris Symons AGD
FatZilla
AG
Check trip sensors on door, it might not close if they are misaligned
FlowCtlr
AG
Same thing happened to me. I believe the wireless receiver is out. I could have maybe tried replacing just that component but instead I bought a brand new unit for around 100 bucks.
1208HawkTree
AG
Yes, I ended up buying a new belt drive. Pretty easy swap overall aside from the fact that it wouldn't close. Opened fine, but wouldn't close at all. Blinking light code kept saying it was a sensor error. Knew the sensors had power and were aligned correctly, so was in a whirlwind of pissed off that night and went to bed.

Had an "aha" moment the next morning. Garage is "pre-wired" from the ceiling to the sensor locations, with one set being the wall unit/button and one sensor piggy backed together, and the other just one sensor. Looked at it again before pulling all of the wire connections apart to re-do them and noticed that one pair had one connection port that was black vs the other three that are white. I had reversed them... worked like a charm after that.
Whens lunch
AG
Here's an out of the box solution...
Check out Open Sesame Garage Door opener.

Small device connects to the wires from your wired panel that works. I just connected the device wires to the same terminals on the opener that my wall switch was connected to.

App for your smart phone. Install on your wife's phone also. It allows you to use a phone to send a signal via blue tooth to the small device connected to your garage door opener. My range was much better than with the standard remote. I was amazed that I could open the door from across the street.

Relatively inexpensive ...retail 69.95, however the app on my phone discounts it to 43.95. Maybe if you download the App...use a generic search like "garage door remote controller", you will find a discount.

I've had this thing for about a year....works great. I put one on the other door

Here you go. 44.95 on Amazon:

Open Sesame garage door opener

I'm not associated with this outfit, just happy with mine. I had remote problems that I couldn't seem to solve. I could close the door, but was intermittent opening. Like you, my wall control worked like a champ.
Not when I'm done with it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.