St Augustine question..

2,283 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cevans_40
AgEngr16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am looking for ways to phase out a St Augustine yard with Bermuda. Is there an easy way to make this happen? Timeframe is not a big deal, just looking for an easy way to make this happen.

Live in Victoria
FincAg
AG
Hire a company to rip the current sod and put down Bermuda. No chance you can choke out St Augustine with Bermuda. Put up a physical barrier between you and your neighbors if they have St Augustine.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Mow your yard short. Bermuda will win, St. A will lose.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
AgEngr16
AG
Is there anything out there that will choke out st Augustine without having to rip it out??

Any chance to kill and till to get rid of the st Augustine?
JSKolache
AG
Maybe just cut it short and often. St aug likes to grow grow grow and will shade out Bermuda if you let it. So, do the opposite.
AgEngr16
AG
Is there a particular Bermuda blend that will perform best in my area or one that works best for overseeding use?
chipotle
Currently I got a battle of the five armies going on in my lawn. Bermuda is winning out ahead of st. augustine, then crab, goose and various weeds following suite.
AgEngr16
AG
chipotle said:

Currently I got a battle of the five armies going on in my lawn. Bermuda is winning out ahead of st. augustine, then crab, goose and various weeds following suite.
What height are you mowing at? Seems like this point has been brought up multiple times and was curious.
PeekingDuck
AG
chipotle said:

Nerd.
chipotle
PeekingDuck said:

chipotle said:

Nerd.

*lol snort
cevans_40
AG
If in Houston or BCS area, I can help you accomplish this pretty quickly. There are many herbicides that will take out the St Augustine and leave the bermuda.

http://www.makemygrassgreen.com
Col. Steve Austin
AG
cevans_40 said:

If in Houston or BCS area, I can help you accomplish this pretty quickly. There are many herbicides that will take out the St Augustine and leave the bermuda.

Yeah, a few years ago my wife decided to "help" with weed eradication so she mixed up a batch of weed killer (Weed Stop or something similar) from what I had on the shelf, sprayed a section of our St. Augustine lawn and promptly killed all the grass therein. She didn't read the label where it said not to use in temps > 90F and we were in the middle of summer. Luckily it was a relatively small side yard so damage was limited.
TMfrisco
AG
cevans_40 said:

This. MSMA will take out St. Augustine and barely touch the bermuda.
cevans_40
AG
TMfrisco said:

cevans_40 said:

This. MSMA will take out St. Augustine and barely touch the bermuda.

Quinclorac + mama will really do the trick.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.