Plumber needed in Houston - roots invading sewage line

1,568 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by shihitemuslim
LeftyAg89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've had ongoing sewage backup issues with my triplex rental in Houston... The 3 units feed together into the main line and roots have apparently broken in somewhere along the line. The plumber keeps pulling up roots and/or tampons, etc (but that's another issue!) that get caught ...the sewage backs up into 2 of the units, sometimes overflowing out of the shower and onto the floors. Disgusting.

So... has anyone used a plumber for a similar type of job, and would recommend them?

I've used two plumbers for the past 15+ years for this property but I'm ready to try someone else.

Thanks and Gig 'em!
JP76
No reccomendation on a plumber but I highly advise installing this on the clean outs to prevent it from backing up inside of the units.

https://www.amazon.com/Homesaver-Flip-Sewer-Relief-Valve/dp/B00PZLP1J4/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=sewer+popper+cap&qid=1568480245&sprefix=seeer+pop&sr=8-2

You need to find someone with a camera to track down where the root issue is in order to repair it or either run a whole new sewer line depending on the existing condition of the old one.
JuCo CH46
When they clean the pipes make sure they fully clean it, not just poke a hole so it drains (short term fix). Ask for a before and after from their camera system. Newer cameras can take still pics and video. Make sure they don't charge you twice for the camera before and after. Some of the larger plumbing outfits have started providing before and afters built into their pricing, smaller guys sometimes charge you each time the camera "comes off" their van....
2wealfth Man
AG
What they said above. Those roots are like tentacles just looking for water for the tree. Once it latches on you may as well find the problem spot and cut the root out or you will be doing this again soon. I have an irrigation supply line that one of my large oak trees likes to drink from.
Bottlerocket
AG
Had this problem a few years ago. We thought it was on the "city side" of our line. City came out, ran a camera, and it was on my side. They were already there with the truck with the high powered jets. I asked the guy if he could take care of it with $100 cash - problem solved.
we had this at the house i grew up in (Houston). Plumbers came and fixed it, and told Dad to put a spoonful of rock salt down the toilet every so often (don't remember the periodicity). Never had it happen again, have no idea if the salt had anything to do with that, just for what it's worth...
shihitemuslim
AG
I would use David Smolinsky with Leader Plumbing. Text him and see if this is something he can help you with. 8322829262
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.