Embedding LED's in epoxy

2,562 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I want to try making some LED cornhole boards, specifically with an illuminated ATM logo and lit edges. Also possibly lines from the front corners to the hole. I'm planning on encasing LED strips in white epoxy and painting the boards maroon.

Does anyone know how much pigment to add to get a while epoxy that is translucent and not opaque?

Any ideas on best depth for LED diffusion? I want to avoid seeing the individual LED's necessary the epoxy. For the logo, I'm considering epoxying without embedding LED's and then adding a light box underneath it for even diffusion, but I can't do that around the edges.

Anyone with experience with something similar?
Builder93
AG
Oh, yeah sure. Pigment ratios in LED embedded epoxy.....

No. Can't help you.
Shiner Bock
AG
tons of youtube vids with led/epoxy
ABATTBQ11
AG
Shiner Bock said:

Yeah, but nothing along the lines of what I'm looking for. Most of it is people just doing it, but I haven't found anyone talking about the planning part of it. I drew up what I wanted in AutoCAD to get the surface area and volume calcs to estimate epoxy, but I'm not sure if LED's will evenly diffuse through the 1/2" layer I'm planning.

My ideal end result is just an even glow through the epoxy, not the rope light look of some of the YouTube projects I've seen. I may just have to do some tests and experiment before I actually do it.
one MEEN Ag
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

I want to try making some LED cornhole boards, specifically with an illuminated ATM logo and lit edges. Also possibly lines from the front corners to the hole. I'm planning on encasing LED strips in white epoxy and painting the boards maroon.

Does anyone know how much pigment to add to get a while epoxy that is translucent and not opaque?

Any ideas on best depth for LED diffusion? I want to avoid seeing the individual LED's necessary the epoxy. For the logo, I'm considering epoxying without embedding LED's and then adding a light box underneath it for even diffusion, but I can't do that around the edges.

Can you do a test strip? Sounds like some experimentation with depth and translucency is the only way to find out.
TMoney2007
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Shiner Bock said:

Yeah, but nothing along the lines of what I'm looking for. Most of it is people just doing it, but I haven't found anyone talking about the planning part of it. I drew up what I wanted in AutoCAD to get the surface area and volume calcs to estimate epoxy, but I'm not sure if LED's will evenly diffuse through the 1/2" layer I'm planning.

My ideal end result is just an even glow through the epoxy, not the rope light look of some of the YouTube projects I've seen. I may just have to do some tests and experiment before I actually do it.
I would message some of the people who made the videos...They obviously have some experience with it.
ABATTBQ11
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Can you do a test strip? Sounds like some experimentation with depth and translucency is the only way to find out.

That's what I'm thinking. I ordered some strips that were super cheap and on sale I Amazon, and I think I'll have more than enough for this project. I'm thinking of taking a 2x4, cutting a dado in it longitudinally, then ripping it at an angle to create a variable depth notch that I can lay a strip in and fill with epoxy. I can do that with different mixes and get a good set of combinations. Could make a nice little science fair project.

I'm also considering painting the cavity white before pouring to increase the diffusion. I'm 70% sure that the epoxy would bond to it.

ETA I might need to add something to split the LED's at different depths, maybe every inch or so.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Honestly, the test strip sounds like more fun... Plus it'll give me good practice mixing and pouring.
agnerd
AG
These seem a little too bulky, but maybe you can find something similar?

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-LED-Channel-StarlandLed-Diffusers/dp/B0721744QQ

ABATTBQ11
AG
Considered something like that. Also considering encasing the LED's in a tube made for diffusion and then encasing that in epoxy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.