Paint disposal

1,433 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ftworthag02
Cardiag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Recently purchased a new home and the owners left a ton of their old paint. We're repainting a lot as well since prior owners had an obsession with all shades of taupe.

Anyone have a good rec on disposing of paint? City of Houston has a drop off option, but it's limited to small quantity. Online inquiries all suggest painting some wood laying around and then dispose of that, but that would require me to buy more wood and spend the next 6 months painting on my saturdays.

Thanks in advance.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
apartment dumpster
bmc13
AG
how much are we talking? and what type?

if it's latex i've heard to open the can add some cat litter. then just let it sit until it dries completely and then you can throw it in the regular trash. maybe do this in a trash bag in a 5 gallon bucket or something to help speed it up?
Dr. Doctor
AG
If latex paint, just open it up and let it dry. Once dry, you can dispose of it.

You can always mix some sand inside the paint to speed up the process. Liquid paint has solvents, hence the no-go in trash. Once dry, it is solid and non-toxic (assuming not lead based paints).

Some instructions

HTH

~egon
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Buy the paint hardening stuff at orange and then throw it away. Put in bottom of bag and cover with other junk.
Cardiag
AG
Thanks. Same thing works for acrylic?
bmc13
AG
yes
Gary79Ag
AG
I've had a couple of painters tell me to just pour the paint out onto a sheet of plastic and let it dry in the sun and then trash it. Last painter actually gave me a roll of plastic to do so...
aka The Lavaca County Legend
Aggie71013
AG
Harris County also has a disposal facility. Open Wednesday's and two Saturdays a month. Drive in, workers take cans, drive out, profit?

30 gallon limit per day

Search Harris County Paint Disposal. Mobile won't let me paste a link currently.
ftworthag02
AG
Habitat for humanity restore
[url]https://www.houstonhabitat.org/restore/[/url]
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.