War on sugar ants

2,003 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cevans_40
lotsofhp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

They drive my wife nuts. We'll go a good while with out seeing any, and then we'll have a bad stretch. Any advice on getting rid of them?

Last time we saw them, I went outside to look at the outside of the house where they were getting in on the inside and did see where they are crawling up the slab and behind the siding. Should I put something there? Is there a good product to spray on the slab all the way around the house?

I'd rather not spend the money on a pest control company cause they don't bother me that much. Just tired of hearing the freak out every time they come in.
Rexter
Bifen XTS is supposed to work wonders. I have some coming tomorrow for ants.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
If you keep killing them and they keep coming back, you might want to add an IGR to the mix.
http://piat.org.nz/getting-rid-of-ants/esia/insect-growth-regulators-igrs
https://www.domyown.com/tekko-pro-insect-growth-regulator-p-10273.html
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
aggiejumper
AG
Yep, Bifen will work well
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
First Rule on Sugar ants- Don't try to kill them by spraying them. They will just pop up someone else and can sense the spray.

Bait them with something sweet and give it a few days. Here's about a ~$15 fix. Let them eat it up and leave them alone

https://www.domyown.com/intice-thiquid-ant-bait-p-411.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2byEupfF5AIVTb7ACh2xmAE0EAQYASABEgJuXfD_BwE
Pepper Brooks
AG
Taurus SC singlehandedly neutralized my fire and sugar ant problem... for my ENTIRE yard... in about 48 hours. It's not recommended for indoor use, and is toxic to pets until it's dry, but I can't recommend this product enough for general exterior insect control.
aggiemike02
AG
we've had great luck with these. work every time, takes a few days and you have to set it as close to where they are coming in as possible, but they always work.

Terro Liquid Baits
CapCity12thMan
AG
Terro makes a granular based foundation perimeter treatment. I do that 2-3x per year. I think that brand works very well
Max06
AG
aggiemike02 said:

we've had great luck with these. work every time, takes a few days and you have to set it as close to where they are coming in as possible, but they always work.

Terro Liquid Baits

+1 on these. They work really well
The Fife
EcoZapp.Makes.Crisp.Air said:

First Rule on Sugar ants- Don't try to kill them by spraying them. They will just pop up someone else and can sense the spray.

Bait them with something sweet and give it a few days. Here's about a ~$15 fix. Let them eat it up and leave them alone

https://www.domyown.com/intice-thiquid-ant-bait-p-411.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2byEupfF5AIVTb7ACh2xmAE0EAQYASABEgJuXfD_BwE
I used something similar and it worked great. They're just all over outside and it's going to be a while before I can close up whatever opening they're using to get in but this is holding things down.

It's also fun to see one discover it, then all their friends show up and a few days later nobody's left.
bdgol07
AG
Bought some Terro baits earlier this week and they have already worked wonders.

Bought another box already
lotsofhp
AG
Without even telling my wife the results of this thread she just picked up some bait from the store and it just so happened to be the Terro baits. They have worked well. Thanks guys
cevans_40
AG
BoilerAg10 said:

Taurus SC singlehandedly neutralized my fire and sugar ant problem... for my ENTIRE yard... in about 48 hours. It's not recommended for indoor use, and is toxic to pets until it's dry, but I can't recommend this product enough for general exterior insect control.

It's also illegal to spray on the surface
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.