best alternatives to wood (floors, that is), if any

2,392 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by John Francis Donaghy
JasonD2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just bought my wife a house - great floors downstairs, all carpet upstairs. I'd like to get rid of the carpet but we don't have any money because, you know, we just bought a house.

I could use some suggestions or I'm drinking fatty natty's and not replacing my pants for 10 years. Thanks.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Laminate wood. Even tile can be done cheap if you do it yourself. It's not hard.
drumboy
AG
Also think about the cost of rugs before you rip out the carpet....
agz win
AG
What's wrong with carpet? Just have it cleaned and enjoy walking around barefooted with soft padded floors.
Builder93
AG
How many square feet is this house?
PlanoAg98
AG
I put hardwood looking tile in my bathroom and have been very happy with it. My brother put it all through his new house and I liked it. I'm thinking of doing the same when I get rid of the carpet.

RK
AG
we have all hardwood upstairs and our children sound like a heard of buffalo roaming the open plains while we are downstairs.
one MEEN Ag
AG
JasonD2005 said:

Just bought my wife a house - great floors downstairs, all carpet upstairs. I'd like to get rid of the carpet but we don't have any money because, you know, we just bought a house.

I could use some suggestions or I'm drinking fatty natty's and not replacing my pants for 10 years. Thanks.
Are you sure you want something besides carpet upstairs? You're just going to hear every last movement. I would rule out luxury vinyl planks (the floppy version) as they will one day sink into every imperfection in your wooden subfloor. Eventually, the beams will show through. I would recommend looking at a solution that has a rigid core (LVP-Rigid Core, Wood Plastic Composite (WPC), Stone Plastic Composite (SPC)).

For me, after months of searching here is the best brand I found for wood look, click lock, rigid core flooring.

https://www.republicfloor.com/copy-of-glacier-point-1

Republic Flooring makes the best product. Their images and surface texture are unmatched. I just installed the SPCMax across my whole downstairs. I would recommend putting down an underlayment of WhisperStep (its a green, rubberized mat) to reduce the sounds of kids running around. Republic Flooring's distribution warehouse in Houston is off of I-10 and Beltway-8 off of Brittmore. I would recommend going and giving them a visit to see all of their products. You can't buy there, but you can see everything.

If you really are interested in it, I can tell you which distributor is the cheapest as my wife and I called them all in the Houston area. Paid about $2.25 a sq ft for an incredible product that most other places were selling it for $3.99-$4.50.

But again, I would recommend on carpet upstairs. We can't stand the carpet upstairs because it is old. We will replace it soon enough once kids come into the picture and start living up there.
saxman
What do you guys think of Luxury Vinyl Plank (LVP) as an alternative to hardwood? I like to lean toward it initially because of price. Depending on your situation of course, it can be a great way way to save some cash and still have the hardwood look. One of the coolest things about LVP that I've seen is the option for to apply the Embossed in Register Technique (ER). ER is meant to finely capture every detailed grain in the plank from the original register, or the wood. This means that not only will the planks look like real hardwood, they'll also feel just like real hardwood. Even wood knots will be captured in detail. Another thing with ER, the added texture will increase the surface area of your boards, thereby decreasing the slipperiness if they get wet. A nice option to keep in mind for kitchen floors or basement floors that open to a pool patio.

Here's an article I found on LVP that also dives into ER for more information: https://www.reallycheapfloors.com/blog/coretec-flooring-by-us-floors/

Let me know if you guys have any experience with LVP and how you think it compares!

Absolute
AG
House we just bought has mostly vinyl instead of wood. I like it. Not sure of the level or type. You can tell it is not wood, but I don't really care. Seems very tough and is easy to clean up after dog accidents.
John Francis Donaghy
Had vinyl in the rental I lived in while my current house was being built. New house is all hardwood. Honestly, I miss the vinyl. It looked almost as good, and was tougher, easier to clean, didn't have to worry about what cleaners I used, and had the option to use the vacuum brush without worrying about the finish. Wood looks nice, but it's kind of a pain from a practicality standpoint.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.