Windows Shades Recs

3,455 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by shihitemuslim
drumboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our house is almost done and I'm now getting sticker shock at the prices for roman/solar/roller shades from Graber (only quote). These are ranging from $300-$600 for each window before the 35% CostCo discount.

Does this sound right? Any other companies to consider? General thoughts on Graber?
Bob_Ag
AG
Wow I hope it's no where near that price. We are building too and I was planning on Roman shades. Looking at select blinds.com, Prices seemed reasonable but that's not installed. How hard is it to DIY? Curious to hear others.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I went with blinds.com. for our Roman shades. They run constant sales...wait for a BOGO sale. I'd have to know dimensions/material to compare apples to apples.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
drumboy
AG
I just did a comparison on blinds.com and the price initially shown is about half as what's shown in the cart without selecting any add-ons like hands free etc.

From what I'm seeing the prices are about the same as the Graber quote with matching 35% discounts....

Looks like they do whole house install for $199.
Red Krow
If you are in Aggieland or the surrounding area let us get you a quote. We come out to the the house and help design the best products with your budget in mind. We buy from many different manufacturers, some are better priced than others for different products. We do sell Graber so it would be easy to compare it to another brand and possibly get within a budget that you are comfortable with. If you have any questions at all feel free to post here or text/call me. I'd be happy to try and save you some money while still getting great products.

Made in the Shade Aggieland
Andy Krotulski
979-676-2844
Andy@mitsaggieland.com
schwack schwack
AG
If you can DIY the installation or have one of your contractors do it, try JCP.com - I know, I know, not very exciting but they ALWAYS have big sales. We got some really nice window coverings for super cheap - cost, not product quality.
thenational
AG
We did JCPenney in our new build. They make quality window treatments, very happy with them. I was shocked at how much I spent on them, was not prepared for that.
OlRock
AG
Ikea
Claude!
I had some blackout cellular shades (9/16" single cell) installed earlier this year for $200 per shade including install. Windows were all about 36" x 60" and the shades are top down/bottom up.

It was a local North Carolina vendor, so unlikely to be helpful for you, but pricing wasn't out of line with what I saw from Budget Blinds or the big box stores.
evan_aggie
AG
I recently purchase 2" and 3" painted levolor wood blinds from blinds.com. I also opted for assisted-lift (no string) options. On 62" x 32" was about $110 a window. On a big 62" x 70" was close to $300.

It definitely adds up.
Post removed:
by user
MAS444
AG
Anyone have any experience with 3 Day Blinds and/or the Shade Store? I know the latter is a little higher end. We're going to be doing window treatments on a whole house soon and need to get several different types. Trying to weigh options...
Post removed:
by user
aelkins12
AG
I work in marketing for Blinds.com (we're based in Houston if you didn't know). For a little insider info, Graber is made by the same parent company as Bali Blinds which you can find at Home Depot, etc. So feel free to price compare with that brand as well to see if you can get a better deal.

Obviously I'm a little biased, but I have the Blinds.com brand products in my home and they're every bit as high quality as the name brands. The only reason I'd choose a name brand is if you can get a really good deal, or if there's some special option or color that you can't get with an off-brand. Most of the off-brands are made at the same factories as the name brands anyway!

Also, The Shade Store is going to easily be 3x the cost of other blinds companies. Unless you want super specialty designer fabrics, don't waste your money.

We have great sales all the time, but we're going to have our best deals of the year at Black Friday, so measure your windows (or have a pro measure) and get color samples now so you can be ready to order then.

If you want any other advice or a heads up on other upcoming sales, drop me a line at abigails@blinds.com.
evan_aggie
AG
aelkins12 said:

I work in marketing for Blinds.com (we're based in Houston if you didn't know). For a little insider info, Graber is made by the same parent company as Bali Blinds which you can find at Home Depot, etc. So feel free to price compare with that brand as well to see if you can get a better deal.

Obviously I'm a little biased, but I have the Blinds.com brand products in my home and they're every bit as high quality as the name brands. The only reason I'd choose a name brand is if you can get a really good deal, or if there's some special option or color that you can't get with an off-brand. Most of the off-brands are made at the same factories as the name brands anyway!

Also, The Shade Store is going to easily be 3x the cost of other blinds companies. Unless you want super specialty designer fabrics, don't waste your money.

We have great sales all the time, but we're going to have our best deals of the year at Black Friday, so measure your windows (or have a pro measure) and get color samples now so you can be ready to order then.

If you want any other advice or a heads up on other upcoming sales, drop me a line at abigails@blinds.com.

Cool to see the Ag network ALL over. I've ordered 3 times from blinds.com in the past 18 months, and always arrives in good shape and sometimes quicker than estimated.

I will say though: I never see a big discount from Levelor to the blinds.com branded versions. As such, I've always bought Levelor. Perhaps the wooden blinds I'm choosing aren't as different wrt to cost?

MAS444
AG
Thanks for the info. Our new home won't be finished until end of next spring/summer. Could we order as early as Black Friday for delivery installation that far down the road?
aelkins12
AG
Discounts can vary from sale to sale, but just be sure you're comparing final price with discount for Blinds.com brand to name brand (like Levolor). It's certainly not always the case that our brand is cheaper, but we're typically able to discount it more.

aelkins12
AG
Unfortunately you can only order once windows and trim are installed, as blinds are made to the 1/8 inch and may not fit with just architectural plans or estimates.

But, we have good sales on all holiday weekends, so you'll be able to get a good deal later in the new year even if the timing for Black Friday doesn't work out.
Courtesy Flush
AG
I am making these decisions right now on a home we just remodeled. We have a large pop-out window in our living room that we need to do something with. I would prefer to keep it open, but we have two 2-story homes behind us and both of them are essentially looking directly into our living room. What works well on these large windows?
aelkins12
AG
Rufnek said:

I am making these decisions right now on a home we just remodeled. We have a large pop-out window in our living room that we need to do something with. I would prefer to keep it open, but we have two 2-story homes behind us and both of them are essentially looking directly into our living room. What works well on these large windows?

By pop-out window do you mean a bay window with glass on 3 sides? In that case, I'd recommend you call our team to talk through options (800-505-1905). Depending on the angle of your windows, different products can be installed to avoid large gaps in between the separate blinds. Overall though, cellular shades, 1" wood blinds or mini blinds do well in bay windows. If you have a bigger budget though, plantation shutters look amazing in bay windows. That's what I'm saving up for in my home.

If you just have large windows (not a bay), I'd recommend cellular shades. They're pretty cheap and since they're lightweight they can be made at wide widths. https://www.blinds.com/c/cellular-shades/34

With needing privacy from 2nd story neighbors, you could keep shades half-lowered to block the direct view, but still let in some light at the lower part of the window.
evan_aggie
AG
Popout window? You mean a window that has a deep sill and extends beyond the plane of the wall?

*edit* I see the same question was just asked!!
Courtesy Flush
AG
Yes. 3-window bay window. One large pane in the middle and 2 narrow pane on either side.
MAS444
AG
Windows and trim will be installed by then? We just won't be ready for install til months later (probably 6 months or so)...
aelkins12
AG
MAS444 said:

Windows and trim will be installed by then? We just won't be ready for install til months later (probably 6 months or so)...
As long as the window and trim are installed you can go ahead and measure, place your order and wait to install whenever you're ready!
shihitemuslim
AG
We went with the Shade Store or D&D Drapery. I had mixed feelings about them and has some issues with the interior designer trying to mark up charges and Shade Store creating an artificial invoice.
MAS444
AG
Wow...thanks for the info. But was it D&D Drapery (which looks like a local place) or Shade Store (which I think is a chain).
shihitemuslim
AG
D&D Drapery is known as Shade or Shade Shop... our architects, interior design and builder said they had a solid reputation. If you have an interior designer, be weary of how they can be get you on this.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.