Any options to reduce road noise via fencing?

1,945 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by longeryak
jenn96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Would welcome any suggestions. My yard backs up to a busy road - it's probably 15-20 feet away from the fence. We have an old 8' privacy fence that needs to be replaced and we plan to do that later this year. Do we have any options to help with noise abatement?

Here is the limitation: we have to have a wooden fence - we're on the perimeter of our neighborhood and the new fence has to be the same style as the existing fencing; 8" wooden privacy fence. I know there are liners we could put on the inside to help absorb noise but I didn't know if anyone had used them, how well they work and if they're worth the expense.

aggiedent
AG
Any noise absorbing material you use under the limitations of your fence height is going to provide negligible noise abatement. Sorry.
jenn96
AG
Thanks, that was my thought too but I've never used it so I was hoping it might work.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Only real thing that'll work is a big concrete wall
Aggietaco
AG
1. Build CMU wall to block noise
2. Line outside with hat channel
3. Install wood pickets to make it look like a wood privacy fence
4. ...
5. Profit, quietly.
Builder93
AG
You need mass, aka, concrete.

Also, you could seek a variance from your benevolent masters in the HOA.
jenn96
AG
Aggietaco said:

4. ...
5. Profit, quietly.

That definitely seems like the most economical solution.
Aggietaco
AG
Probably cheaper than beefing up a typical wood fence to actually do anything.

If you only want to have a wood fence, use 2x rough cut cedar for your pickets, board on board, inner layer of MLV to help absorb some noise and then a nice finished cedar on your side.
atmtws
AG
NVM
ABATTBQ11
AG
jenn96 said:

Aggietaco said:

4. ...
5. Profit, quietly.

That definitely seems like the most economical solution.

You're looking at about $1.5k for a 30' long, 6' tall wall if you do it yourself. There's a fair amount of fluff in here, but that's roughly $500 for block, $200 for half a yard of concrete (I know, a yard doesn't cost nearly that, but delivery fees and small loads...) for a 2' wide by 6" footing (could go 8"), $300 for rebar, and then $500 for incidentals like mortar, grout for horizontal bars, and tools you don't have but will need.

I'm not including a layer of compacted base material, but you could do that. It would mean more excavation, buying base, and renting a plate compactor, though. You could build your footing on undisturbed soil and probably be fine though.
flown-the-coop
AG
I have same issue and seriously looked into acoustiblok.com. Problem they do not seem to interested in small, residential applications unless you just ordered it and did it yourself. Seems like a CMU wall would be much cheaper though.
longeryak
Aggietaco said:

Probably cheaper than beefing up a typical wood fence to actually do anything.

If you only want to have a wood fence, use 2x rough cut cedar for your pickets, board on board, inner layer of MLV to help absorb some noise and then a nice finished cedar on your side.
Acoustiblok has MLV with landscapes and 'rock walls' printed on them and will do custom print from your hi-rez photo.

https://www.acoustiblok.com/acoustiblok-product-lines/acoustifence-noise-reducing-fences/
longeryak
aggiedent said:

Any noise absorbing material you use under the limitations of your fence height is going to provide negligible noise abatement. Sorry.
I'm going to disagree on this one. Unless you've got tall trees or a multi story house reflecting the noise into the yard the sound waves should go above the MLV barrier and 8 foot is way over most peoples ears. https://www.acoustiblok.com/2018/07/20/acoustifence-on-berm-reduces-noise/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.