Dryer Vent

1,553 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SeMgCo87
RCR06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My washer and dryer are in the garage(house was built in the mid 60's). When I moved in there were connections for the washer dryer, but no exhaust for the dryer. The easiest solution was to get one of those indoor vent contraptions. It didn't do much, now I've removed the indoor vent box and it just basically vents to my garage. The nearest exterior wall from my dryer is about 10 feet away, its also along the same wall as my dryer. One complication is that this path also goes through a small closet in my garage. When I look on home improvement websites everything for dryer venting is the flex hose. Would this be the best thing in my situation? My plan is to run it along the floor as much as possible and drill the holes in the closet as close to ground level as I can. There will be two 90's in the hose, one coming off the dryer and then one going to the exterior vent. Any advice would be appreciated. I've always lived somewhere that had an exhaust vent close to the dryer that was already installed.
Builder93
AG
I'm not a fan of running that pipe through a closet because of the heat that can build up especially if it gets clogged. If that is the only path available I would use rigid duct pipe and insulate it with fiberglass wrap and use hard 90's. That way it will have maximum velocity and stay cleaner. Also tape all the joints with foil tape.
RCR06
AG
Good thought. I could remove the door to the garage closet, it doesn't really serve much purpose. I originally thought about using all hard ducts, but its going to be much more difficult. Probably the best way to do it though.

Unfortunately this is really the only place to go. Everything else would be in the way and much further. Probably why it was never installed in the first place.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
What about going straight up behind the dryer and then going through the ceiling space to the exterior? Same amount of bends, but might look cleaner.
RCR06
AG
Hmm, not a bad idea. I'll have to take a look at that. Thanks!
SeMgCo87
AG
RCR06 said:

Hmm, not a bad idea. I'll have to take a look at that. Thanks!
Going through the ceiling is a great idea, and flex pipe the last 2-3' through the soffit. But you may also consider hard piping to about 6'-8", then elbow to the outside wall, under the overhang (assuming 8' ceiling hgt). Make sure you use a metal/screened vent terminator, to keep all kinds of critters out.

You can furr-out and drywall afterwards at your leisure.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.