Moving a home

5,125 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by p_bubel
MoreCushing4thePushing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also posted in Real Estate and Varsity: Looking at purchasing a historical building and relocating it. Anyone have experience with this? It's 5000 sq ft, about 70' in length, 37' in width, and about 28' high. Trying to move it about 22 miles down the road. It'll pass thru Plantersville and Navasota. I have no idea what the cost will be to get power lines moved, and I think a couple of traffic lights.
cavscout96
AG
where are you taking it?

I've thought about looking into something like this, but it's always seemed like all of the power lines, bridges, etc would make it cost prohibitive for all but single story structures
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Out to Millican. We have some property out there, right off of 2154. My parents did this when I was much younger, and it was a much smaller, single story home.
cavscout96
AG
Very cool. Would love to see how it works out for you.
Rexter
I'll hazard a guess and say $250,000
JP76
A lot

More than likely the house will have to be cut in half to move it

If you go out to Tabor and turn down fm 2223 where the Cameron ranch store is there is a large multi story house on the right hand side about a mile or 2 down. This house was moved many years ago from I think around the Navasota area. I don't know the current owners name but I'm sure if you contact them they will tell you what can of worms you are trying to open up.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Rexter said:

I'll hazard a guess and say $250,000
I haven't gotten anything official yet. Current owner thinks I should be able to get it done for no more than $60K. One mover said $100K at a minimum. I was honestly expecting over $500K. We'll see what happens.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I might drive down there, and knock on their door. If no answer, I'll look their info up on Brazos CAD and write them a later. Thanks for the lead.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Damn I'm an lolpoor
ABATTBQ11
AG
Must be nice to have that kind of money to just move a house
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I wouldn't say that we have that kind of money. I will say that we think this building is/can be something really special.
In fact, we have been working with an architect for over a year on a custom home, and we've got some skin in the game up to this point. However, we do think this place is special enough to throw all that aside and start from scratch....if the price is right.
JP76
msechelski said:

I might drive down there, and knock on their door. If no answer, I'll look their info up on Brazos CAD and write them a later. Thanks for the lead.

I have some more info on it

Email at

jpp_76@hotmail.com
MAS444
AG
Sounds like an awesome project. Please post updates if you get any more info and/or move forward.
Rexter
JP76 said:

A lot

More than likely the house will have to be cut in half to move it

If you go out to Tabor and turn down fm 2223 where the Cameron ranch store is there is a large multi story house on the right hand side about a mile or 2 down. This house was moved many years ago from I think around the Navasota area. I don't know the current owners name but I'm sure if you contact them they will tell you what can of worms you are trying to open up.

I seem to recall one going from Navasota to somewhere....maybe this one was it. The number that I recall was $300,000 or so. V
aTm2004
AG
MAS444 said:

Sounds like an awesome project. Please post updates if you get any more info and/or move forward.
This.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Bids are starting to come in to move it. A couple companies say they can do it without cutting it. Power lines will need to be raised and a couple traffic light poles removed. Second option is to cut it in half horizontally, but the cost is about the same to cut and reassemble.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Is this building in Anderson?
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
No. Plantersville.
62strat
AG
msechelski said:

It's 5000 sq ft, about 70' in length, 37' in width, and about 28' high.

Interesting.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
It's two stories, with the first floor being a little larger than the second.
Tumble Weed
I am betting $150K. Does this price include leveling at the new site? Are you pulling the windows out before the move?

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
You're buying the building in the Renaissance festival where they tell dirty limericks, huh?
chipotle
I'm just here for the pics....if this happens.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Busted. I'm gonna have a priest come through and get rid of all the spirits, but tell him to make sure to leave all the busty harlots.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG

Here she is. This big ugly building that I see a ton of potential in.
Vernada
AG
OP?

MAS444
AG
That's awesome. Again, very interested. Would love to do something similar one day. Thanks for sharing and please keep posting!
chipotle
Yeah....that thing is haunted as f***.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Isn't that the Greenwood Mercantile building actually in plantersville not the Renaissance?
mAgnoliAg
AG
I know some haulers in that area if you're still looking to get quotes
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
It is. I've talked to the Sipe Boys, Larry Jollisant, and Yoakum out of Brenham. Still waiting on a quote from Yoakum. I reached out to a company in Houston also, but I'd appreciate any other company to contact.
mAgnoliAg
AG
The guys I were gonna suggest are Larry Jollisant and Bobby Luthe
cjo03
AG
Curious to the attraction here? To ask another way, what is it about the history of this building that makes this worthy of the move/project?

It is a cool looking giant. But feels like there must be something about the history there also to make the $ to buy it + $$$ to move it + $$$ to refurb 5k sq ft a more favorable option than a similar price new custom home on the land.

I lived near El Tiempo off Washington Ave circa 2005 - and quite a few of the old houses were moved out while we were there. Fascinating process.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Not sure of any historical significance. I like the idea of it having been built at the beginning of the civil war. It could have been a supply shop since it was so close to the train tracks, but I don't think there is an actual story that makes it stand out.
Two things that attract me to it: First, the character that I see on the inside with all the old wood. There are grooves in the flooring from the foot traffic over the past 150 years. Second, I like the idea of not having a mortgage. I know I will shell out a ton in renovation costs, but not having a monthly obligation for a decade or more is very enticing.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Seems to me if you can buy, move, and remodel to your liking on your property without a mortgage you could build custom without a mortgage.

Im watching this one. Looks like a great story will unfold!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.