Removing Concrete Paint on Porch

1,479 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by third coast..
Bonfire97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone have a good method or suggestion for doing this? The previous owners painted the porch with that gray garage floor paint. It looks like there is a second coat of something under that, too. It is starting to peel in places and looks pretty rough. I have about 20'x4' to do.

I started yesterday with "Klean Strip Premium Stripper". I got about 2' done in 4 hours. It took about 3 applications of the stripper and just made a huge mess. I don't see this being practical or safe to do the rest this way.

I am thinking about one of those diamond grinding wheels for my angle grinder (like below). I am wondering if anyone has removed concrete paint with one of these. Seems like it would scar up the concrete......

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-Diamond-4-in-Cup-Wheel/50191371

Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated.
Chris98
AG
Try Franmar soy gel paint remover (can get on amazon) and a pressure washer. If you are not planning on covering the porch with a topping/ overlay, I would not grind. Along with scarring, any humps or low spots will cause a really inconsistent appearance.
Bonfire97
AG
Thanks for the response. It seems there is no really good option to get it off. I probably should have just scraped the peeling spots and painted over it (easy way out).
Builder93
AG
You can rent a concrete grinder with successively fine grits until you get a finish you want but it will probably be slippery.
jtp01
AG
Sand blaster, but it's a mess to clean up afterwards.
Bonfire97
AG
All, I wanted to update this post in case someone else is looking for information on this. Here is all the trial and error I did on this:

1.) Klean Strip Premium Stripper - worked, but took 2-3 coats to remove the paint and concrete primer underneath it. Not cost effective and probably too health hazardous to use on a broad surface like a porch.

2.) 60 grit with palm sander - did not work.

3.) Belt sander with 60 grit belt -worked reasonably well, but only did about 16 sq ft before destroying $7 belts.

4.) Even though I was worried about concrete scarring, I finally resorted to the 4 1/2" angle grinder and this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-in-diamond-turbo-cup-wheel-61419.html

It worked great and the concrete looks new. It takes very randomized motion to avoid swirling, but I finally got the hang of it. After doing the porch (about 80 sqft), this disk had 50% of tread left on it.

You must use PPE with this disk, though, especially a P100 respirator. The dust is terrible.
Post removed:
by user
Bonfire97
AG
I tried to insert a picture, but the "insert image" here seems to only want you to use a URL. It looks like brand new concrete. The concrete is 65 years old and it literally looks like it was poured a month ago.
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.