Clogged Plumbing - Kitchen Sink and Laundry only

1,875 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
Gilligan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been in this house 5.5 years and three times I have had to use a snake to clean the drain for my kitchen and Laundry room.

The path is Laundry Room to Kitchen out the back and around to the front. I have a clean out under the window in front of the sink and in the back yard and in the front halfway to the street.

House was built in '75.

We find huge chunks of crap that floats when dislodged. Some of it white, some orange, some grayish to black.

Today I decided to snake it myself and not call a plumber. A little research and I used a horseshoe shaped cutter on a 1/2" 75' automatic feed. Easy rental from HD.

For reference I know the plumber used the tapered spring both previous times.

Here's my question: Where is this stuff coming from? The previous owners did not take care of the home.

We don't put food / grease down the drain. We clean our plates into the trash and use a paper towel to clean out the grease pans. In 1.5 years can there be enough build up to have chunks bigger than a bar of soap?

Is it possible that it's still left over from the previous owners and the plumber(s) didn't use the most effective tool for the job?

I went towards the street twice and back into the house three times with the horseshoe shaped end. 3+ Solo cups full of yuck and my wife said she saw several good size chunks go past the clean out in the front yard. I am hoping I can get more time between cleanouts.

any ideas out there? I have pics of the nasty stuff, but don't know how to link them.

~G

rlb28
AG
Exact same situation at our house (built in 1985). Plumber always tells us it's grease, etc.. and I'm not sure my kids don't throw that stuff down the sink. It seems like a yearly maintenance item at this point. The last plumber told my wife to put some baking soda or Rid X down there once a month - not sure if she's done that.
AggieGunslinger
AG
DP.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Just to be clear, you are on a city sewer system not a septic system right. I am dealing with this right now and the kitchen sink has its own grease trap tank which needs to be pumped. It is separate from the sepic tank the rest of the house is on.
Gilligan
AG
City Sewer
Gilligan
AG

I found these pics on the web.
hph6203
AG
Those need a warning label. Jeez.
JP76
I've had good results from this on build up issues

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Zep-Drain-Defense-Pipe-Build-up-Remover-64-fl-oz-Drain-Cleaner/3745757

I usually see this issue on people who put lots of stuff down the disposal.

These are good for unclogging and removing buildup

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/plumbing/drain-openers/plumbers-snakes/4398947
Caesar4
AG
A plumber once mentioned to me...

Only put in the disposal what you want your pipes to get clogged with.
JuCo CH46
I'm not a plumber but I work for Ridgid Tools. First, if you are told that you have grease build up its not just grease in a traditional meaning (lard). Hand soap, food, toothpaste... almost anything liquid besides water will build up as grease in pipes. Grease build up can get hard and drain cleaners (drum machines, sink machines...) are great for breaking it up, but even if you run all three/ four heads to fully clean the line, its going to build up again if its already done it once (usually). A water jetter is the best way to fully clean a grease blockage giving you the most time between issues. Old pipes could have some hard spots that have never been fully broken up, that means shorter times between blockages.
Also- When you clean the pipes and even see black junk w/ pieces of case iron... you likely have a collapsed pipe. If you dont mind cleaning the pipe every 4 years, keep doing what you are doing. If you want it fixed really well, I suggest you have a plumber snake (camera) the line and then clean it appropriately.
Again, not a plumber but I do sell the tools they use....
Long Live Sully
AG
I am happy to be an outlet for your used customer samples.
Gilligan
AG
I plan on remodeling the house next year and these pipes along with the guest bathroom that has tree roots in it will be addressed then.

until then I need as much time. I have a friend that's a commercial plumber and we're going to flush my pipes sometime soon. I just need to make it 12 months or less.

Now I just need to convince the wife to move out for a few months while I remodel...
JuCo CH46
12 month window... you should be able to hit that with one good cleaning.

Cow Hop- sorry, most used tools don't make it past my garage
Long Live Sully
AG
JuCo CH46 said:

12 month window... you should be able to hit that with one good cleaning.

Cow Hop- sorry, most used tools don't make it past my garage
Not for me to judge at all... but that seems awfully selfish of you.
Caliber
AG
JP76 said:

These are good for unclogging and removing buildup

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/plumbing/drain-openers/plumbers-snakes/4398947
I used to have a similar situation, line from kitchen/laundry clogging up every 12-24 months, snake it out and be fine for a while. This line had guest bathroom inline before heading out and the clog was between sink and that bathroom.

Bought on of the above a 3 or 4 years ago and ran it from the kitchen clean out as far down as I could (as far as i was snaking usually. Took several tries getting it down far enough, but when it finally blew through, it blasted all kinds of stuff out and down the line. Haven't had an issue since yet and it was also easier than the freaking snake, so if I ever have another issue, that is my first go to.
JuCo CH46
That tool uses the same concept as a professional water jetter and I would think it would work fine for soft grease built ups in residential pipes. I have seen them but have never talked to anyone that used it. Good to know that it worked well for you.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Having this issue
My kitchen sink is on an outside wall with the clean out right on the other side. If I just open that guy up and shove theirs this along with my hose and let her rip it should solve my problem??
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.