Best Old House Features

3,022 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by evan_aggie
(removed:10EA24-2)
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll start

Real Hardwood Floors

I need a ton of ideas really quick please - my time is super limited on here... 3 days to be exact

Keep 'em coming!!

PFG
AG
No sheet rock.
chick79
AG
Character. Not cookie cutter McMansion.
ABATTBQ11
AG
How old?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Lead paint makes them survivable bomb shelters in the even of nuclear apocalypse.
Bob_Ag
AG
Original woodwork, wainscoting, molding, etc.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Dedicated dining room
Designed for natural cooling (dog run and/or window alignment for cross breeze)
Picket fence
ftworthag02
AG
10'+ ceilings
Ship lap behind Sheetrock (trying to install elfa shelving and my drill bit is smoking and it smells like pine)
Wavy window panes
Sliced Clown Bread
AG
Can you provide more details? Is this an italianate mansion or a farmhouse.

Besides all of the above, old houses immerse you in the simplicity of the past. They give perspective and counterpoint to the fast paced world around us.
BrazosDog02
AG
I'm currently living in the original family homestead here in Texas built in the 1850s as far as we can tell. There are a lot of not so charming features but if we focus on the good stuff....

No drywall
Porches
Solid 14" limestone walls....very insulated.
All materials gathered and milled/hewn on site
The limestone smokehouse
The milkhouse
The bathhouse
Real wood floors...
House grew as needs grew
10' ceilings generally speaking
No closets
Wavy glass
Real shutters
Hand made screen frames
Non square, non plumb framing. One of the biggest problems with people is that they try to "fix" old homes by squaring and correcting things that were never square or correct the day it was done.

Probably the neatest thing is being in the attic and seeing the evolution of technology from nothing to gas lights, to knob and tube, to Romex....it's a timeline of technology and building methods.
There's 2 rooms in this big ole house with Sheetrock- it had been added in the 1950's-
How big of a deal is it to remove sheet rock and expose the cypress walls? Is it a big messy job for professionals or can I give it a go myself?
The Fife
Beachbabe19 said:

I'll start

Real Hardwood Floors

I need a ton of ideas really quick please - my time is super limited on here... 3 days to be exact

Keep 'em coming!!

If it was last remodeled or built long enough ago, old school bathrooms can be fun with all of the colors and tile patterns that don't exist any more. They're better off as side bathrooms though.

99% of the time there's no HOA, and if old enough it'll be close enough to the city center so that anyone who's the type to do something truly stupid will be priced out of the area.

Pier and beam vs. slab foundation makes it so much easier to make electrical and plumbing changes
Yes pier and beam- definitely not HOA
BrazosDog02
AG
I said "Pier and beam", but you should check yours. Often times that is a very loose definition. In my case "Pier and beam" means "floor joist and flat rocks".

p_bubel
BrazosDog02 said:

Non square, non plumb framing. One of the biggest problems with people is that they try to "fix" old homes by squaring and correcting things that were never square or correct the day it was done.

Yeah, the level is the most useless tool I own.
histag10
AG
p_bubel said:

BrazosDog02 said:

Yeah, the level is the most useless tool I own.

Putting in a new kitchen was the worst experience of my life (and tiling). Trying to figure out cabinets and counters along walls that werent square was SO. MUCH. FUN.

One of my favorite features - cast iron radiators (great for warming clothes up on a cold day).

Also - the constant mystery & surprises. I mean, 9 times out of 10 its not a good surprise, but at least they keep you on your toes...
p_bubel
I love the fact that I brought something back from the dead, gave it a second chance at another 130 years and see myself has just another fool in a long line of owners.

I'm baffled at some of head scratching work done on the place and strive like hell to not "be that guy" to someone decades in the future.
That's fabulous! Thank you!!!
BrazosDog02
AG
p_bubel said:

I love the fact that I brought something back from the dead, gave it a second chance at another 130 years and see myself has just another fool in a long line of owners.

I'm baffled at some of head scratching work done on the place and strive like hell to not "be that guy" to someone decades in the future.

I like this story. Its a bit tough going from a modern slab build with modern techniques to something built in the 1800s. I look at some stuff and think what the ****? You couldn't use 2x6 under that floor?" Or "termites? You guys couldn't do something about that?"

But if you sit back and think about gripes like lack of closets, crooked walls, iffy bracing, and put yourself back in the time period and for me, back in the environment....things that matter now weren't a concern then. Straight floors weren't a big deal. It's flat. It's close enough. Lack of proper bracing happened because they may not have had any other option. Not like running down to Home Depot. It would have been days of travel or days of milling on site to get what was needed. Lack of closets...who the hell needs a closet? Your Sunday best and your week day farm wear fits just about anywhere and sometimes they were the same clothes. Shower? What shower? There's a creek. Go bathe.

It's fun to imagine why things were done and it's a lot harder to blame people when excuses were legit. It's not like today when you see a crappy job and it's just because the contractor went home early that Friday.
htxag09
AG
Beachbabe19 said:

I'll start

Real Hardwood Floors

Keep 'em coming!!

???
Old RV Ag
AG
htxag09 said:

Beachbabe19 said:

I'll start

Real Hardwood Floors

Keep 'em coming!!

???
It's an MF Barnes thing. Don't ask.
P Bubel Thats fascinating !

I tried to read fast before I'm out of time. I may have missed the age of the home- 130? Is that correct?

beautiful place !! You did an amazing job! Mine will be more primitive. I only have 2 rooms of Sheetrock to take out and not looking forward to it. I want it to match the walls and ceiling in the rest of the house.

One of my ancestors lived in King William on Adams Street way back when. He died in 1915 but his family remained in the area.

p_bubel
There are some very nice houses on Adams. I'm two blocks over.
Potcake
AG
Did your ancestor look like this guy?
Builder93
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

p_bubel said:

I like this story. Its a bit tough going from a modern slab build with modern techniques to something built in the 1800s. I look at some stuff and think what the ****? You couldn't use 2x6 under that floor?" Or "termites? You guys couldn't do something about that?"

But if you sit back and think about gripes like lack of closets, crooked walls, iffy bracing, and put yourself back in the time period and for me, back in the environment....things that matter now weren't a concern then. Straight floors weren't a big deal. It's flat. It's close enough. Lack of proper bracing happened because they may not have had any other option. Not like running down to Home Depot. It would have been days of travel or days of milling on site to get what was needed. Lack of closets...who the hell needs a closet? Your Sunday best and your week day farm wear fits just about anywhere and sometimes they were the same clothes. Shower? What shower? There's a creek. Go bathe.

It's fun to imagine why things were done and it's a lot harder to blame people when excuses were legit. It's not like today when you see a crappy job and it's just because the contractor went home early that Friday.
It generally a good idea to refrain from judging historical figures by today's sensibilities. People made due with what they had, physically and mentally.
BrazosDog02
AG
Builder93 said:

BrazosDog02 said:

p_bubel said:

It generally a good idea to refrain from judging historical figures by today's sensibilities. People made due with what they had, physically and mentally.

Absolutely. There are things we do today because it's fun and nostalgic. Those same things people did back then because they would die if they didn't. I have firearms from the period whos owners would be confused at how we use guns today. I have a pistol that is rusty, has sights filed off, and may have been used as a hammer once or twice in its life.
MAS444
AG
Lived in a 100 old house for 15+ years and love it. But building new and can't wait to get out of it. Many of the things that I loved at first drive me nuts now.
I get that but was that home a family home? One that has been in the family all those years? I think that makes the difference in making it a lifetime home. A home where you know that you will be there til your last day.
MAS444
AG
It's been a "family home" for the latter part of those years...in that my wife and I got married while living there, had kids and raised them there for 4+ years. But I never thought it was a place I'd stay forever. Never really thought that far out one way or the other. It's been great, but we need more space and better schools. And again, can't wait to have a new house! Will always have very fond memories of the old house.
MAS444
AG
I'll also say that, while the new house we're currently building is kind of our "dream house," I also have no expectation that we'll be there forever. 15 - 20 years hopefully, but not necessarily forever.
cavscout96
AG
Beachbabe19 said:

I get that but was that home a family home? One that has been in the family all those years? I think that makes the difference in making it a lifetime home. A home where you know that you will be there til your last day.
I'm with you, but I don't think many folks have this perspective today. Our society is very mobile and folks follow the job a lot more than in the past. Especially since the proportion of family farms and ranches is dramatically lower than just 75 years ago and minuscule by comparison to 150 years ago.
evan_aggie
AG
We have a whole house fan. I need to try that puppy out.

Previous owner built an enclosed in the attic around it that we have to actually pull open via pulley and rope.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.