Water filtering/softening problem?

950 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Jason Ag
Caesar4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
*Water Filter Symptom*
Over the last 6 months or so, we've observed that water flow from our fridge door water dispenser gradually decreases. Each time, replacing the fridge water filter resolves the problem, for about a month. Then, the filter needs to be replaced again to restore good water flow.

That seems too frequent, so I'm wondering if our whole-house water softener has malfunctioned. This fridge is a GE, approx 2 years old. On our previous Kenmore fridge the water filter typically lasted 4-5 months, and that "lasting" was based on an automatic "need-to-change" light, not based on significantly reduced water flow which we're now experiencing with the GE fridge/filter.

*Softener Background*
We replaced the water softener in our house approx 7 years ago with a Whirlpool 44,000 Grain Softener. A plumber installed it. I never did much with/to it other than add salt from some yellow bag from HomeDepot. Once, I used some other brand which turned out to be much finer chunks than what's in the yellow bag. Never did that again.

I'm wondering if our water softener might be malfunctioning and/or unnecessarily adding salt to our water, causing the fridge filter to clog. Maybe it's no longer even needed (if water supply in Williamson County, north of Round Rock, is no longer as hard as it used to be).

Approx 1 year ago, some in the house noticed the water tasted salty, so I lowered the setting on the softener and also noticed that it was set to kCL (Potassium) instead of nACL (Sodium). So, I changed it to NACL. I also bought a bottle of the Whirlpool cleanser and went through the cleaning cycle.

I've never disconnected the softener and hosed it out or anything like that. Is that recommended?

Currently, the bypass is engaged, so no water softening is occurring. I'm about to replace the fridge filter again, so I'll see if the filter clogs while the softener is bypassed.

Any recommendations on water testing services (that don't just use the test as a means of making a sell), or any other recommendations/suggestions?
Missouri Boat Ride
AG
take it to a pool store. Leslie's tests water for free on the spot, including hardness. Just be ready for a sales pitch on chemicals to correct, if needed.
Jason Ag
AG
Not saying this is the issue, but we had similar issues with needing to replace the fridge filters. Turns out the filter harness needed replaced, works great now. Heres the exact one I bought for our fridge:

GE WR17X20860, PS10056099, AP5949931 Filter Assembly and Tube for Refrigerator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U7ZS776/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_QxpkDb58JKG6Z
Caesar4
AG
Jason Ag said:

Not saying this is the issue, but we had similar issues with needing to replace the fridge filters. Turns out the filter harness needed replaced, works great now. Heres the exact one I bought for our fridge:

GE WR17X20860, PS10056099, AP5949931 Filter Assembly and Tube for Refrigerator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U7ZS776/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_QxpkDb58JKG6Z
Thanks, I might try that. I neglected to mention earlier that before the reduced water flow through the door water dispenser, the water had trickled to a stop and stopped altogether. A repairman came out and replaced the exact part that you linked to. Maybe the one that he installed was defective somehow.

If the filters continue to clog/slowdown with the softener bypassed, then I'll get that part from Amazon and try a replacement myself. Did you replace yours yourself? Easy?
Jason Ag
AG
Yes, was surprisingly simple if you go this route. Just make sure you get the correct part number for your fridge before you order. Still, since it was just replaced, you may try more trouble shooting. Maybe by the thing that goes on filter connection to allow water to bypass the filter and see if it still has the problem.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.