Best Paint Sprayer For Home Projects?

8,687 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by evan_aggie
Post removed:
by user
will.mcg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes
JSKolache
AG
Ikanizer said:

What is the air requirement for one of those $10 HF sprayers? I remember looking at that once and thinking it would mean buying a $500 compressor to use the cheap spray gun.
I use it with 6 gal pancake compressor. Great for furniture pieces.
agracer
AG
Looking to paint some ceiling joists in my basement and also basement walls.

On the Graco (or Harbor Freight Unit), what happens to all the paint in the hose? Does it just go to waste or can you back feed it into the can when your done with the unit?

Also, anyone had any luck with a smaller plug in HVLP units

Like These
TMoney2007
AG
agracer said:

Looking to paint some ceiling joists in my basement and also basement walls.

On the Graco (or Harbor Freight Unit), what happens to all the paint in the hose? Does it just go to waste or can you back feed it into the can when your done with the unit?

Also, anyone had any luck with a smaller plug in HVLP units

Like These
You put the intake tube into a bucket of clean water (or thinner for oil based) and take the tip off of the gun. You can shoot what's in the hose back into the paint bucket so you'll lose some but not all of what's in the hose/pump.

If you're doing a small project like a piece of furniture, a gravity fed unit will be much much better.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
I have an airless and an hvlp. They are very different, and I will replace them both if needed. There has been a lot of good advice on this board, but I will add a little.

Think of sprayers as tools. Anybody have just one saw? No, there are different saws for different tasks. My Fuji hvlp is great for fine finishing cabinets and furniture. It holds a small amount of finish, lays it down nice, can spray flammable, and is easy to clean. I painted my whole house with a sprayer and put down over 100 gallons of primer/paint. It is a bit harder to clean, but is great for painting a house.

Bottom line is that the sprayer for you depends on your planned use.
agracer
AG
Got the graco Magnum Project Painter. Went thru 7gallons on the ceiling in about 3 hours then 4-1/2 gallons on the walls in about 2 hours. Definitely glad i had all the PPE gear and sealed all the holes to the storage area before I started. Vacuumed up the paint dust off the floor where it as not covered. Probably spent 10 hours total on the project (moving furniture, covering stuff, etc.) Did have to go back and touch up here and there with a brush. Just stained the paint into a 5g bucket and it sprayed fine.

It was actually very easy to clean up the latex paintin the unit. Going to run the storage fluid thru it tomorrow.

If i ever do a ceiling again I'll buy the extension. Glad i got this thing. Probably would have cost me 5x as much to pay someone to do this.

FYI this unit leaves about 1/2 gallon in the bottom of the bucket. Also, strongly recommend you move any furniture out of whatever room you're painting. The dust goes everywhere!
Post removed:
by user
evan_aggie
AG
Let us know how it goes!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.