Bosch dishwasher stinks

11,534 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Caesar4
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I recently (April) purchased the 500 model from Lowe's to replace a GE model that stopped cleaning my dishes after 6 years.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my purchase (never used the drying feature on any of my other dishwashers, so wet dishes isn't an issue for me), but I'm not kidding when I say the dishwasher stinks!

I was just reading reviews on the Lowe's website, and I guess this is a pretty common occurrence. I did run the sanitary cycle a couple of weeks ago, and that kept the odor at bay for a few days, but gradually it came back.

Anyone able to successfully remove the odor and keep it from coming back? I've never had this problem with any other dishwasher (and I've owned several).
Dr. Venkman
AG
Does the drain line loop?

I put one of these in every month.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Affresh-Dishwasher-Cleaner-W10282479/202071928
TXTransplant
I need to check that when I get home, but I've read plenty of stuff online posted by owners whose drain line is installed correctly and it still stinks.
Dr. Venkman
AG
You can also run a cycle with a cup of vinegar in the top rack.
TXTransplant
Based on what I'm reading online, that doesn't permanently solve the problem. I'm copying and pasting a variety of "solutions" to try when I get home. Maybe someone here has permanently solved this problem?
Factory Builder Stores
I second Dr. Venkman on the high loop - this is pretty pivotal on most modern dishwashers and prevents improper drainage. It's meant to be in lieu of an air gap, and it would be my first guess at the root cause too. I do hear about this issue occasionally and that's usually where the problem is found. It seems to come up more often with Bosch dishwashers, so I don't know if that just means it's more integral to their installs than some other brands.

The other thing to check is the filters, as the smell likely means that food particles are decaying somewhere in the drainage process. I usually say you only need to check every 6 months or so, but it does depend on how food-laden your kitchenware is. Inside the dishwasher itself, you'll always have a little bit of water at the bottom, typically the inlet sump - this is normal. But it should be clean water, not gray water, so check that as well.

One other thing, make sure you're careful with what you use to clean it. Vinegar would be fine, but make sure you don't use anything chlorine based since it can damage internal parts. I've seen some places online saying to use more detergent than usual after cleaning the filters, but honestly I don't think it will make a difference. Most dishwasher detergents these days are made with enzymes that need something to react to, unlike standard dish soap.

~Rodney Christiansen, Factory Builder Stores
TXTransplant
I will check everything as you suggested. I'm just disappointed as I've had three other dishwashers (all different brands) over the years and, while they had their problems, a stinky odor was not one of them!

As a side note, a couple of weeks ago, I opened the dishwasher at some point after the cycle was complete to let the dishes dry before I put them away. I didn't open it right after the cycle ended (I try to do this, but it doesn't always happen); I think I opened it sometime the next day after turning the dishwasher on before I went to bed. I didn't put the dishes away (I often do this to let the dishes dry). Later that night, after leaving the door open all day, I went to put the dishes away, there was black mold on all of the plastic items in the dishwasher. In my 40 years, I've NEVER seen mold in a dishwasher, and certainly not on clean dishes!

I rewashed everything (first by hand and then in the dishwasher), and this was when I ran the sanitary cycle. Like I said in my first post, this did temporarily get rid of the odor, but it has returned.

TXTransplant
So, there really isn't enough room under my sink to get the drain line to make an inverted U like that.

However, I ran a load last night (not on sanitize - just the regular cycle), and it doesn't stink right now. I'm not sure if I opened the door to let things dry last night or early this morning.

Edited to add that my dad thinks he can fix the drain. In the meantime, I guess I will just have to open the door ASAP when a cycle is complete.
Potcake
AG
We have the same problem with our almost 7 yo Bosch but just started noticing the stink a couple of years ago. Wife uses little cleaning packs occasionally. I just checked the drain compared to Venkman's diagram. I have 19" at the disposal but only 27" at the top of the loop with only another 2" available.
histag10
AG
LemiShine makes a great dish washer cleaner.

I would leave our bosch cracked open when possible to prevent the smell
Gary79Ag
AG
Have had Bosch dishwashers in the 2 homes we lived in since 2006 and have never had a problem...both work(ed) great and never a stinky smell issue!

Y'all have got something wrong somewhere!
Factory Builder Stores
It sounds like the high loop is going to be your issue unfortunately. The only alternative to a high loop would be to install an air gap which is mounted on the countertop, usually on or next to the sink. I'm not sure what the space behind your dishwasher looks like, but it's usually easier to do the high loop - even if you don't have much space, I'd try to get a loop in there as high as possible.
TXTransplant
I got under there this morning and finagled something. The problem is, the drain line is pretty big in diameter, so it's not very flexible. And there are a bunch of other lines/hoses under there, and the guy who installed the dishwasher kind of got the drain line all tangled up in them.

I already have an air vent on my countertop.

I'll see if this works. So far, no stink. I'm leaving the door open (I wasn't before because the stink was so bad it was making my whole kitchen/living area smell bad).
03_Aggie
Just leave the door cracked between cycles. It's what we do with ours.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
For a product that is considered one of the top in the category, this is not good to read. We will be replacing our dishwasher in the not too distant future and yall have effectively convinced me to look at other brands.
TXTransplant
Milwaukees Best Light said:

For a product that is considered one of the top in the category, this is not good to read. We will be replacing our dishwasher in the not too distant future and yall have effectively convinced me to look at other brands.

Do a Google search on "Bosch dishwasher stinks". There are tons of complaints. I'm disappointed, too. My parents got a Bosch a few years ago and don't have this issue. My dad was the one who recommended this one to me, so I didn't do a search before purchasing.
Bregxit
AG
I have had three Bosch dishwashers (600 and 2 800 series) since 2006 and have never had an issue with foul odors. We run ours on sanitize every load.
91_Aggie
AG
Our bosch stinks as well. It smells fine after dishes are washed and if it stays empty. But once dirty dishes get into it and we dont wash for several days, it stinks horribly.

Read reviews back then about it and definitely seems to be a Bosch thing.
aggielostinETX
AG
91_Aggie said:

Our bosch stinks as well. It smells fine after dishes are washed and if it stays empty. But once dirty dishes get into it and we dont wash for several days, it stinks horribly.

that's normal with dirty dishes sitting in a confined space. Bacteria and all.
Gary79Ag
AG
Deats said:

91_Aggie said:

that's normal with dirty dishes sitting in a confined space. Bacteria and all.
Dittos...only time we've ever experienced foul odors from our Bosch...but that's expected when you leave dirty dishes out over an extended period of time! Same will occur if left in the sink over time...not Bosch's fault...
aggielostinETX
AG
Clean out your food choppers and don't use the pods.

Easy to do. Videos on YouTube and takes about 45 minutes.
OnlyForNow
AG
Get a kitchenaid dish washer, it's as highly rated as the Bosch and doesn't have the smell issue.
Gary79Ag
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Get a kitchenaid dish washer, it's as highly rated as the Bosch and doesn't have the smell issue.
It will if you let dirty dishes, etc. sit in it for days...
OnlyForNow
AG
I don't understand, is that what's happening?

Who puts dirty dishes that would stink in a sealed up box for days before running it.
aggielostinETX
AG
OnlyForNow said:

I don't understand, is that what's happening?

Who puts dirty dishes that would stink in a sealed up box for days before running it.
My 13 year old...
TXTransplant
The problem I originally posted about is a little different, in that my dishwasher smells AFTER the dishes have been washed (specifically if I don't open the door to let the dishes dry right after the cycle is complete).

However, I have been known to load my dishwasher as dirty dishes are produced (I hate letting them pile up in the sink) and not run the dishwasher for a couple of days. And I have NEVER had any dishwasher - even if filled with dirty dishes - stink like this Bosch does. And I've certainly never seen black mold on any dishes in any dishwasher, clean or dirty, until a few weeks ago.

The smell initially seemed like a chemical odor (and I thought maybe the plastic parts inside the unit were off-gassing). I can still smell a hint of that, but after using this thing now for a few months, it smells more like a swamp (when it stinks). I have been leaving the door open pretty much all the time, and the odor has been gone for about the last week or so.
aggielostinETX
AG
TXTransplant said:

The problem I originally posted about is a little different, in that my dishwasher smells AFTER the dishes have been washed (specifically if I don't open the door to let the dishes dry right after the cycle is complete).

However, I have been known to load my dishwasher as dirty dishes are produced (I hate letting them pile up in the sink) and not run the dishwasher for a couple of days. And I have NEVER had any dishwasher - even if filled with dirty dishes - stink like this Bosch does. And I've certainly never seen black mold on any dishes in any dishwasher, clean or dirty, until a few weeks ago.

The smell initially seemed like a chemical odor (and I thought maybe the plastic parts inside the unit were off-gassing). I can still smell a hint of that, but after using this thing now for a few months, it smells more like a swamp (when it stinks). I have been leaving the door open pretty much all the time, and the odor has been gone for about the last week or so.

It's your food chopper.
Bregxit
AG
Deats said:

TXTransplant said:

It's your food chopper.

Are you talking about the garbage disposal?
aggielostinETX
AG
No, you have a food grinder in you washing machine. They get nasty as hell and will hold food and stink.

evan_aggie
AG
Not all have food grinders. In fact, many Bosch didn't a few years ago. It was one reason they were so quiet and had a little light on the floor to tell you when they were done.
Bregxit
AG
evan_aggie said:

Not all have food grinders. In fact, many Bosch didn't a few years ago. It was one reason they were so quiet and had a little light on the floor to tell you when they were done.

As far as I know Bosch dishwashers do not have food grinders. I know none of mine have.
TXTransplant
Deats said:

TXTransplant said:

It's your food chopper.

Something isn't right if after less than three months of use (because that's when it started stinking) the food chopper has already started making this one stink. I've had other dishwashers for years that never smelled bad at all.
OnlyForNow
AG
It depends on if he went from having an old one with a chopper that would shop anything to now one that might not even have a chopper.

Our brand new kitchenaid one doesn't have one. We have to clean the plates of any solids and we try to get off most other things as well with just light brushing with sponges and hot water before putting them in.
Bregxit
AG
TXTransplant said:

Deats said:

TXTransplant said:

It's your food chopper.

Something isn't right if after less than three months of use (because that's when it started stinking) the food chopper has already started making this one stink. I've had other dishwashers for years that never smelled bad at all.
I have perused the manuals for all the Bosch series and none have a food chopper/grinder. They do all have a three stage filter that needs to be cleaned periodically...more often the less you rinse your dishes. It pops out of the bottom of the dishwasher tub and you rinse/scrub it out.
TXTransplant
dlance said:

TXTransplant said:

Deats said:

TXTransplant said:

It's your food chopper.

I have perused the manuals for all the Bosch series and none have a food chopper/grinder. They do all have a three stage filter that needs to be cleaned periodically...more often the less you rinse your dishes. It pops out of the bottom of the dishwasher tub and you rinse/scrub it out.

Yeah, I just pulled mine out and inspected it. It's a little dirty, but not bad. And it has no odor at all. If that's what is causing the problem, I'd think it would smell a little.

I'll keep an eye (or nose?) on it if/when the smell comes back. So far, so good.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.