New fridge smell?

968 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by histag10
aggieactor01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have any tips on how to get rid of the plastic smell in a new fridge? We bought a small beverage fridge at sams last fall.

I left it open for a week when we bought it, cleaned it several times during that week and have rotated baking soda boxes since then but it still smells like plastic.

Any idea how to get it out? It makes cans and bottles smell like the plastic.

Factory Builder Stores
Unfortunately I've never seen any sure fire way to get rid of this, and some people are more sensitive to it than others. It's just one of those things that goes away with time. I have seen some recommendations at places like GE's website, though it sounds like you've seen a few already.

GE suggests that you can use activated charcoal or vanilla extract in small bowls/dishes, but these aren't quick solutions and are recommended for a few weeks. My guess is that they'll make the fridge smell like plastic AND charcoal/vanilla, which doesn't sound like a huge improvement.

I'd say to keep up with the baking soda; I don't think its going to be a quick solution, but probably the best way to absorb the odors over time.

~Rodney Christiansen, Factory Builder Stores
Whoop Delecto
AG
aggieactor01
AG
Factory Builder Stores said:

Unfortunately I've never seen any sure fire way to get rid of this, and some people are more sensitive to it than others. It's just one of those things that goes away with time. I have seen some recommendations at places like GE's website, though it sounds like you've seen a few already.

GE suggests that you can use activated charcoal or vanilla extract in small bowls/dishes, but these aren't quick solutions and are recommended for a few weeks. My guess is that they'll make the fridge smell like plastic AND charcoal/vanilla, which doesn't sound like a huge improvement.

I'd say to keep up with the baking soda; I don't think its going to be a quick solution, but probably the best way to absorb the odors over time.

~Rodney Christiansen, Factory Builder Stores
Thanks Rodney. Appreciate the response.
aggieactor01
AG
WhoopRAB said:

I have a Tramontia from Sam's in my outdoor kitchen. It needs defrosting when it smells kind of electrical. Not sure if similar to your case.

It's not really electrical. It's had the smell since we bought it before it was plugged in so I don't think that's it. I might try unplugging it again for a while and see if that helps though. Thanks!
histag10
AG
spill some wine in it. let it sit for a day or two - then clean it up. Voila - now you have a wine smelling beverage fridge
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.