Door Help Needed

1,646 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TMoney2007
Steeltoe05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need to replace an exterior door and need some advice as I don't have much experience with this
One option is to buy a pre-hung door at Lowes and replace the entire jam.

In my mind, it would be easier to just replace the door. This would prevent trim work and additional painting among other things. I'm aware the typical Lowes door will not have matching dimensions on hinge and knob/lock placement.

Is there some place that will sale me a door that has hinges and knob/lock placement to my specifications?

Would you advice against this? If so, what are the main reasons?

What other ideas/options do I have?

TIA

JeepWaveEarl
AG
Like this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steves-Sons-36-in-x-79-in-Premium-6-Panel-Primed-White-Steel-Front-Door-Slab-STL6PX3280/205741573[url=https://www.google.com/shopping/product/4881223809259624489?lsf=seller:8740,store:2358194657683815770&prds=oid:7472890509868190327&q=exterior+door+without+frame&hl=en&ei=kyEmXceJL4S_tQb9-ZywCw&lsft=gclid:CjwKCAjwmZbpBRAGEiwADrmVXq4wIpIiOfdA4dumIyQ_LRGLEXmEam0Zet25iyU6x73s4uAEN9oT1RoC0YAQAvD_BwE,gclsrc:aw.ds][/url]

YellAg2004
AG
How old is your existing door and do you know who the manufacturer is/was?
ABATTBQ11
AG
You could probably special order a slab, but IMO it would be best to just buy a new prehung door. It's not a complicated replacement and there are tons of good videos on how to do it.
evan_aggie
AG
I've taken doors off, worked on them, and then re-hung them. I think the issue would be ANY variation at all can cause lots of trouble in getting it to fit just right.

If you imagine how little play you usually have in a door... I mean 1/8 of an inch off in any direction could cause some rubbing or interference, and then you'll find yourself trying to tighten each of the three hinges in a different order, shaving the bracket mounting area, shimming it, etc.

But I hear you: I'd be tempted to give it a try too...the idea of redoing trim work is also time consuming.
nai06
AG
evan_aggie nailed it.

Minor fluctuations can be a real PITA especially on an older home. Unless you are wanting specific doors like vintage or buying from a second hand store, just get the prehung door.
cena05
AG
I've used these guys and they were great. J&L Glass and Doors 713-855-1031
Ikanizer
AG
You might find one that fits at one of those habitat for humanity resale places.
If you're needing to replace the door because the bottom part is rotted out it is not hard to take the door off, use a skilsaw/sawsall to cut a panel out of the bottom leaving about an inch on either side. Then you replace what you removed with treated 2x6s cut to fit. Use countersunk 3" deck screws from the sides to secure the replacement wood. The thickness of the door is slightly more than 1.5" but put it will look good from the outside.
beerag04
AG
If you're in Houston call Western Pacific Building Materials. You can give them the hinge measurements and they will make a door for you. I've done this multiple times for custom doors and it works fine.

If you are not in Houston there are similar moulding and door suppliers everywhere.
Aggieangler93
AG
I believe BMC will do this same thing in the Austin area for replacing a door with measurements via their place off 1431. I think that is where we ordered mine from.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
TMoney2007
AG
All of this is readily possible,... but it is also harder than carefully taking down the door casing, putting in a new pre-hung door and putting the casing back.

I wouldn't be super confident in getting the hinge and bore measurements right to send to a door shop and have it hang right. Once the door is gone, the hinges usually look like garbage too and part of the frame might be as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.