Can you add on to an existing pool?

2 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AggieSam02
Ice99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are moving and looking at a house that has a small, shallow play pool. The yard is big enough and the shape is conducive to adding on a deep end to one side.

Is this possible? We built a pool at our current house and I know that the metal in the walls is continuous and overlapping and it's all tied together as one structure. So I kind of doubt it it's possible to add on, but wanted to check with any pool experts on here.
AgLA06
AG
I can't imagine any reputable company is going to want to take on the liability / risk of using part of a previous pool. Matching materials / making transitions unnoticeable would be difficult. It's probably cheaper to demo and rebuild anyway.
2wealfth Man
AG
I think you would have rip out the old pool shell and pour a new one for a larger pool. There is rebar, plumbing, etc. that need to be integrated into the shell. You just can't "join" pieces together that way. You would asking for huge structural and leakage problems otherwise.
TexAg1987
If it is small and shallow, just dig it out and use the hole as a start for a new one. You may be able to reuse the pump pad and electrical service.

Selective demolition and trying to connect would drive up the cost anyway.
AggieSam02
AG
It's not uncommon in the pool remodel world. Not really much different than adding on to a slab. Demo parts/sections and tie in to existing rebar as needed.

Keeping in mind that it's basically going to cost as much as a new pool build. You will be paying minimum charges for Gunite, pebble finish, etc.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.