HOA ridiculous over Tree

3,893 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TexAg1987
CAR96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I will say it's a really nice commute north of Houston and south of Conroe and its a pain in the rear.

I have a large tree that the HOA was going to allow to be cut down mostly because it's close to garage slab and had termites. I have a tree removal guy I have used for 17 years and trust - it's still an $850-$1000 tree to cut down; HOA will only approve removal if Arborist says its 'not healthy' & a fee bid came back today from the Aborist for $150.....REALLY!

So to satisfy the HOA I have to pay $150 extra! For what?
uncover&humpit
AG
I am an ISA certified arborist and can help you for about 1/3 that cost. Email me omniscape [at] gmail dot com
aTm2004
AG
Deduct the $150 from next year's HOA fee and attach the bill and their demand with the check.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Another successful TexAgs hookup
OldArmyAggie94
AG
In your covenants does it state the HOA has right/authority/opinion over trees in your yard and how you manage them? If not I would tell them to pound sand. I have some strict ones however just planted 10 trees and kinda felt good only to have to check utilities. And then I thought some of the questions they asked were none of their business.
CAR96
AG
Thanks y'all. I got the paperwork & inspection and will be moving forward.

Thank you
LostInLA07
AG
Sounds like woodlands township so yes
water turkey
They wanted me to post a $500 deposit to install an above ground hot tub.
evan_aggie
AG
We had a 23" tree abutting the back of our home that we felt we had to remove right when we bought it. Otherwise, when it reached 24", it would have taken an act of god before the city of Austin would approve.

We still had to file paperwork with an arborist and service highlighting a large split/defect that could have made it a risk to fall on our home.

I would have liked to have kept it around for a few years but felt that the local bureaucracy would have stepped in...

Courtesy Flush
AG
There's an auburn fan out there that could help you guys out.

I recently took down 3 mature live oaks in my back yard. I sent a notification/request to my HOA and they said it wasn't necessary. Had they rejected me removing the trees, my plan was to send them a letter stating that if the trees fall, the HOA would be responsible for damages. It seems to me that assigning them responsibility would have made them reconsider. I don't know but I'm glad I didn't have to fight that battle
coolerguy12
AG
Our HOA requires approval but adds that no approval is needed if the trees are unsafe or unsightly. I took two big pines from my yard and never talked to them about it.
expresswrittenconsent
water turkey said:

They wanted me to post a $500 deposit to install an above ground hot tub.

Yeah sure. As if anyone with a hot tub has ever had $500.
Gilligan
AG
evan_aggie said:

We had a 23" tree abutting the back of our home that we felt we had to remove right when we bought it. Otherwise, when it reached 24", it would have taken an act of god before the city of Austin would approve.

We still had to file paperwork with an arborist and service highlighting a large split/defect that could have made it a risk to fall on our home.

I would have liked to have kept it around for a few years but felt that the local bureaucracy would have stepped in...

I know Austin is outlandish these days, but what is so special about a 2 foot tree?
evan_aggie
AG
Lots of red tape and/or grease needed to slip through.

25-8-641 - REMOVAL PROHIBITED.

(A) Removal of a heritage tree is prohibited unless the Planning and Development Review Department has issued a permit for the removal under this division.(B) A permit to remove a heritage tree may be issued only if a variance is approved under Section 25-8-642 ( Administrative Variance ) or 25-8-643 ( Land Use Commission Variance ). (C) The requirements in this division apply to trees on private and public property. To the extent of conflict with another section of the Code, this division applies.
Broba Fett
evan_aggie said:

23 inches? What is this, a home for ants?
TexAg1987
Gilligan said:

evan_aggie said:

I know Austin is outlandish these days, but what is so special about a 2 foot tree?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.