Roofing Standards

2,455 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BrazosDog02
BlackGoldAg2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just had a new roof put on after a hail storm. After it was first put on, we pointed out some issues that the contractor sent back two guys to resolve, some of the issues were improved but still exist, namely, there was a distinct line across the front of the house from a row of shingles being set at narrower lap. After "fixing" it it was still somewhat visible to the ground so I climbed up on the roof to inspect. What I found was that while the average exposure is about 6" per row, there are these two rows that are 4" and 4.5" exposure. There were several other lines visible upon closer inspection, each with about 4.5" exposure.

My question is what is an acceptable variation in shingle exposure? Manufacturer specs say 5-5/8 exposure and after climbing on the roof even the rows that look good range anywhere from 5.25" to 6.25" with the average being closer to 6". I'm trying to decide how picky to be with my GC but don't really know what is an acceptable variation in exposure since I know perfect isn't reasonable across a whole roof.
BrazosDog02
AG
Doesn't sound like a standard architectural. What kind of shingles? Brand? If it's a standard GAF arch shingle there is no "figuring" of exposure. The second course lays atop the first where the "dragons tooth" begins. Personally, I want my roof to be uniform and have no obvious places where you can see course ending or beginning, seams, or individual shingles when my crews finish.

The biggest deal here is whether the nails are exposed. I see it a lot when we tear off roofs...exposed nails...but mostly because someone missed the nailing strip.

If you a meeting spec per the manufacturer and you have no exposed nails, then your warranty should remain in tact and that shouldn't be an issue.

No one is perfect and crews do make mistakes. I saw a brand new install (not mine) where there were three separate slopes facing the road. The one in the middle had shingles installed with a "slant". The two on each side were true and square. It was quite noticeable as you drove down the long entrance to the neighborhood.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Shingle is certainteed landmark. And most of the variations don't bother me, and I would have never known if I hadn't been up on the roof with a tape taking a closer look at the line that was visible from the street. The line in my mind isn't acceptable since it is just sloppy work due to them being in a hurry to beat the rain. The back where there was no rush looks great. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't going to be an issue being off of the manufacturer recommended exposure. Here is the line after they "fixed" it

BrazosDog02
AG
First, I would not notice that unless I was looking for it but that's because I'm looking for issues that bother me ...like crooked or color variation. Lol.

Ok. Landmark. It lays the same. There should never be a hurry if they used RoofRunner, DiamondDeck, or even any old synthetic underlayment. Dried in would buy time. Anyway, I see what you mean. I would not worry too much about that "narrow" segment. Other than looking off to you, I don't foresee a functionality problem.

Also, don't spend a lot of time on that hot roof...super easy to damage with summer temps.

You could use this to leverage some leak warranties for a long time. I don't see a way to fix it perfectly other than averaging the exposure across a couple courses of shingles.

I don't think it would affect manufacturer warranty but I would make your roofing company validate and confirm that from the Certainteed rep....in writing.

Hopefully Shalackin stops by. I'm curious to see his take on it.
lotsofhp
AG
I say it's not a big deal. As mentioned it's definitely not going to affect the performance of the roof. All the fasteners are covered which was also mentioned.

Also, the lines from left to right (the way you're looking down them in the photo) are nice and straight.

Sometimes the exposure has to be manipulated some as you roof up two slopes that eventually meet, say at the top of a dormer or something like that. But that's not what's going on here.

After tearing off the shingles and drying the roof in with underlayment, the crew will first pop chalk lines on the new underlayment. They pop lines for every 4th course of shingles and this keeps the lines nice and straight.

So you nail down your first course of shingles going right off the chalk line and that row is perfectly straight.

Then you lay your second and third course based off of where the they should lay on the the previous course. It should go to the top of the "dragons tooth" that was mentioned.

But when you lay the 4th course, you go by your chalk line again.

So if your 2nd and 3rd course actually had a little too much exposure, when you correct everything with the 4th course based off the chalk line, it's going to lay a little further down which will make 3rd course smaller.

I hope that all makes sense haha
Aggietaco
AG
Get him to add some flashing for you after you replace that rotting fascia and call it even.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Aggietaco said:

Get him to add some flashing for you after you replace that rotting fascia and call it even.
this was already planned. the siding and fascia is all getting replaced so some flashing and other details were done just the bare minimum until the siding crew comes in.

lotsofhp:
thanks for the input, and yes, the rows are all pretty straight. it was mostly a complaint because when first put on, that row that i showed as being 4" exposure was about 2" exposure. you could see the "seam" on the roof from halfway down the street. the "fix" made it much better just not quite there yet. and I struggle to write a check for what these roofs cost if if doesn't look right even if it's structurally sound
Rexter
An inspector is going to be fine with that run, but not that dry rot on the siding......

It's 1/2" out over a 4' run to be a hazard.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Sasappis said:

BlackGoldAg2011 said:

Aggietaco said:

this was already planned. the siding and fascia is all getting replaced so some flashing and other details were done just the bare minimum until the siding crew comes in.

lotsofhp:
thanks for the input, and yes, the rows are all pretty straight. it was mostly a complaint because when first put on, that row that i showed as being 4" exposure was about 2" exposure. you could see the "seam" on the roof from halfway down the street. the "fix" made it much better just not quite there yet. and I struggle to write a check for what these roofs cost if if doesn't look right even if it's structurally sound

If you are not comfortable writing the check, what do you want them to do to fix it? Tear off the roof from that line up and relay most of the whole house?
After speaking to him they are going to try to spread out the the variation over a few more rows so it's not noticeable from the ground.

But to your second question, if that's what it took then yes. I'm not just paying for the job to be to code, part of a finished product being a finished product is the aesthetics. If i paid for an interior remodel and came in to find whoever did the tape and float for the Sheetrock just slapped some mud up and painted over so you could clearly see every drywall seam i'd make them fix it even if it meant tearing out the drywall and starting over. don't see why the roof is any different. I mostly came here to get some insight into what is acceptable on the variations that aren't visible from the ground.
JP76
I couldn't sleep at night if I put my name on a roof job that looks like that. No excuse for that except installation error and lack of oversight. For what you are paying I would make them fix it right.
BrazosDog02
AG
Since they are going to come back out, did they step flash that dormer in the background?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.