Removing Pet Odor

2,830 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by agbq06
agbq06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm buying a house and it has a strong pet odor. Out the gates we know rugs are being removed and I'm having every carpeted area replaced. We are also painting 3/4 of the home, including ceilings. My assumption is this should be enough with adding candles, smell goods etc. Will this be enough? Anyone have experience with this, success?

I looked into duct cleaning/deodorizing, and found a webpage saying the EPA strongly discourages sanitizing HVAC ducts as it can be harmful to your health, so I'm a bit gunshy about that now. Thoughts?
UmustBKidding
Ducts and ceilings not the issue and most duct cleaning is voodoo bs. Carpet and potentially low sheetrock or shoe molding if the were marked are the problem areas. Also normal carpet installer is likely not going to clean floor or even replace tack strip that may be urine soaked. I would pull it all the carpet, padding and tack strip myself or have pulled then clean and have them return later to install. Check sheetrock and trim in areas where under carpet is soiled. Use enzime cleaner on stained places and slab. If have wood subfloor this will be more involved. Paint is likely not going to do much for pet smell, smoke maybe but not pet oder
agbq06
AG
I had hear that with regards to spraying the slab and the tack strips. What kind of spray/sanitizer/enzyme solution is best to treat with before new carpet goes in?
Beckdiesel03
AG
I mopped using a vinegar solution with warm water when we replaced my sons room carpet. It seemed to do the trick, but it also wasn't terrible to begin with.
JP76
If urine is present then I prefer to use this for cleaning

https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Miracle-Stain-Odor-Remover/dp/B072FVZ1Z9/ref=asc_df_B072FVZ1Z9/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=%7Bcreative%7D&hvpos=%7Badposition%7D&hvnetw=o&hvrand=%7Brandom%7D&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=%7Bdevicemodel%7D&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583520382179022&psc=1

If it is bad on the slab/subfloor and or drywall, baseboard etc then it is best to replace any heavily soaked area especially trim/base. Any areas that you clean you should then encapsulate with oil base primer to seal the surface. For the ductwork you can fog the house with ozium multiple times.

Warning if you attempt to use bleach on urine it will creates a nasty toxic reaction with ammonia from the urine so I would advise against it.

UmustBKidding
My wife uses the stuff jp76 recommend but has also has used anti icky poo. Basically carpet people are not going to do anything to solve the problem just hit and run. Also most quotation won't include the tack strip or replacement of transition or edge strip. Probably not a huge cost but likely extra. Get old out don't rush to get new installed until all the problems are addressed.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
We made a video years back to post here today:

jtraggie99
AG
The natures miracle stuff really works. I have an area in my living room that is carpeted. It was replaced last summer after a water leak. We also had a cat that has since passed away from old age and health issues. Like a lot of older cats, she had litter box issues toward the end and preferred the carpet. Gross, I know. When we replaced that section of carpet, I used matures miracle on the bare slab, let it sit over night. It definitely did the trick. The urine odor was completely gone.
Texker
AG
UmustBKidding said:

Ducts and ceilings not the issue and most duct cleaning is voodoo bs. Carpet and potentially low sheetrock or shoe molding if the were marked are the problem areas. Also normal carpet installer is likely not going to clean floor or even replace tack strip that may be urine soaked. I would pull it all the carpet, padding and tack strip myself or have pulled then clean and have them return later to install. Check sheetrock and trim in areas where under carpet is soiled. Use enzime cleaner on stained places and slab. If have wood subfloor this will be more involved. Paint is likely not going to do much for pet smell, smoke maybe but not pet oder
Definitely pull the carpet and pad yourself. I'd go over the entire floor and baseboards with a black light then decide about the tack strip. Treat any areas with Nature's Miracle. You have to let NM sit for it to work properly. Don't spray and wipe, spray and soak for hours.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Ozone machine may help. We used these when worked at a hotel to deal with organic and cigarette odors.
Post removed:
by user
91AggieLawyer
AG
Vinegar and baking soda would work as well on the floors but might be harder to clean up on non finished surfaces. It might take a few moppings and/or a WD vac to get up.

I also like the ozone idea. You can get one of those on Amazon for like 60 bucks. Be sure and follow the directions carefully.
Texker
AG
I've used a couple of these for years for general odor control. They are amazing. We pack one when we travel.

https://www.airoasis.com/shop/air-oasis-1000-g3/
marmer
I know that there are special tools in pet stores that are well clean smells or feces of the animal. I also know that you can use vinegar and soda, they also deal well with odors.
one MEEN Ag
AG
agbq06 said:

I'm buying a house and it has a strong pet odor. Out the gates we know rugs are being removed and I'm having every carpeted area replaced. We are also painting 3/4 of the home, including ceilings. My assumption is this should be enough with adding candles, smell goods etc. Will this be enough? Anyone have experience with this, success?

I looked into duct cleaning/deodorizing, and found a webpage saying the EPA strongly discourages sanitizing HVAC ducts as it can be harmful to your health, so I'm a bit gunshy about that now. Thoughts?
Don't listen to the snake oil salesmen in this thread.

If you want to remove pet odors and you're replacing the carpet you've got a golden opportunity to actually fix the problem instead of spot treat. Pet smells are usually in the concrete and on the low drywall/trim area, basically any area an animal can 'reach.'

For the concrete, I would recommend pulling up the tack strips and then coating the floor with a stainblocker. For stainblocking/odor sealing concrete the two best on the market are Kilz MAX and Zissner BIN. Roll it on with a floor roller and be done with it. Zissner BIN is the end all be all of odor blocking sealers, by far the best on the market. Its a true shellac. It sets up super quick (be sure to have proper ventilation, full face respirator). BIN will block the odor and will be guaranteed to work, but its expensive. $45 for a gallon, but hey you're literally squeezing bugs to get the shellac resin out of them and that isn't cheap. Kilz MAX is less than half of that price, but I've heard its hit or miss on actually blocking odors.

For the wall painting, Shellac is going to get extremely expensive quick. I would recommend an oil based Kilz product. That might be Kilz Original or Kilz MAX. If you've got bad smells don't let the painter convince you do Kilz2 or any water based Kilz product, it just doesn't have the odor blocking power.

Hope this helps.

one MEEN Ag
AG
agbq06 said:

AgBq,

I just put down the Zissner BIN stainblocker and odor blocker last night on the house I've been working on.

This morning was the first time the rooms didn't smell like wet dog. It was incredible. I would a 100% recommend just biting the bullet and putting down BIN on the floor. Only draw back is the expense of 'doing it right.' It took two gallons of stainblocker to get 370 square feet fully coated. So it was about $130 all included for the paint, brushes, roller, paint, safety googles, nitrile gloves, and respirator, but this problem is solved forever.

agbq06
AG
So long story short, forgot about the thread after I bought the Natures Miracle. I was really concerned I'd have to put a oil-primer down on the cement...timing was a major concern here since we were displaced. However, on move-in day the house actually smelled fine (very faint odor). So the pet odors were likely in the furniture and rugs.

I sprayed down the tile and slab throughout with Natures Miracle out of caution, then replaced all air filters with carbon ones, and let the carpet guys and painter do his thing. After they were done, you'd never know it smelled the way it did when we walked it. Week later house still smells good.

Hopefully, it stays that way. Appreciate everyone's insight!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.