Landscape cloth question

2,273 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by marmer
Rockdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have 2 flower beds that I'm trying to rid of weeds that just refuse to die out. I've cleared the beds from plants and have resorted to roundup. It kills them but after a while the same type weeds just come back. I've gone through this roundup cycle several times to no avail. If I kill the weeds one more time then clean out and put down landscape cloth, will that keep the weeds from coming up (before I spend a lot of money on new plants and mulch). Never used it so don't know if it really works. Getting tired of this. Thanks.
Gric
AG
Roundup kills any emerged weeds but has no residual activity so every time you have rainfall or a sprinkler going you will get weed seed germinating. The cloth will help prevent seed from germinating although I have seen nutsedge poke through
ftworthag02
AG
Landscape company owner, I rarely see weed barrier/ landscape fabric work in beds. We never use it except when we are installing a 4-6" deep decomposed granite path. Weeds will still germinate on top of they will find the seams and come up through there. Treat the weeds w/ a couple applications of roundup and then mulch heavily. You will have to do some maintenance periodically during the growing season. Good luck!
Rockdoc
AG
Ok thanks guys. Was wondering if the Preen granules spread before the mulch would help.
toolshed
AG
What kind of weed? Nut grass will continue to come up over and over as it has nuts/ roots, that you aren't getting as you pull the grass up. Pictures might be helpful.

Generally, fabric is not necessary and frowned upon by some.
babyshark
Mulch is cheap in bulk. Lay it thick.
cadetjay02
AG
I gave up on fabric and used the 3' wide painters paper from Home Depot. Doesn't let anything through and biodegrades over time. Has worked great.
cevans_40
AG
A solid pre-emergent plan can greatly reduce your weed pressure.
marmer
I have never used landscape cloth, but most of the plants in my garden have a special fence from the lawn, I use a landscape edge to keep my plants free from weeds. In this article https://greatyardmaster.com/best-landscape-edging/ there is a description of different landscape edges, maybe you will find what you need. I like these edges because they make the garden more well-kept. I read on the Internet about landscape clothing, but I'm not so much worried about the amount of weeds to dig up the whole garden. This is a fairly large area, so I try to do it as reasonably as possible. If you don't have a large garden, then perhaps this is a good decision for you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.