New carpet for rental property

2,106 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by powerbelly
mel07ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We need to put new carpet in our rental property. It will be on the stairs and 2nd level (bedroom, hallway & loft area). Any recommendations on type of carpet considering it is a rental property and who knows how well it will be taken care of?

Also, any experience with purchasing at Lowes or Home Depot and having them install?

Thank you!
Martin Q. Blank
Use LVP instead.
mel07ag
AG
If you went LVP...

Would you do that on the stairs also?
Would it turn potential tenants away to not have carpet in bedrooms?
FatZilla
AG
mel07ag said:

If you went LVP...

All depends how you market it. LVP is much easier to keep clean, no spills to worry about, allergens don't build up (If you sweep/swiffer regularly), if you damage a plank, it can be replace individually without replacing the whole floor (Low cost fixing). Carpet is nice but LVP is the future it seems. I love my LVP in my main areas and would not mind it 1 bit if they had put it in the bedrooms too (Vacuuming is a PITA compared to my swiffer). As for stairs, you may want to do a non-slick type of surface over the LVP or on the edge of each stair, just for safety.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I've had HD carpet before, but its been over 20 years ago. I didn't like it at all. You can get much better carpet for about the same or not much more.
Señor Chang
AG
How nice is your rental property? If it's lower end, go get some of the carpet from HD they have on the big rolls in store. I think it's about $. 60 per Sq ft.
mel07ag
AG
House is about 1500 sf and we are hoping to get close to $1600/month to give you an idea of house value. It's located in McKinney.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Personally, unless you're going to allow pets (particularly dogs) or the humidity level of the house just won't allow it, I'd consider a lower to mid range engineered hardwood. Something like this from Seconds and Surplus:

Red Oak Bronze 4" x 48" Oak Wood Flooring

Its going to last a LOT longer than carpet; as mentioned, easier to clean; (mostly) tenant proof; and they can get their own rugs if they want. I'm going to put this or something similar in my next rental property.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
For what it's worth, if I was a renter not having carpet would be more attractive than having carpet. I don't want other folks' cooties trapped anywhere inside the house if I can avoid it
Gary79Ag
AG
AGGODDESS said:

For what it's worth, if I was a renter not having carpet would be more attractive than having carpet. I don't want other folks' cooties trapped anywhere inside the house if I can avoid it
Got that right!!!
Dr Lane Trowlan
AGGODDESS said:

100% agree
Aggielady216
AG
I agree with the poster above. About 2 years ago I was looking at homes to lease and all of the ones with carpet automatically got crossed off the list.
Dr. Doctor
AG
My experience with cheap carpet in a rental:

I lived in a cheap ($425-$450 a month) 2-1 condo in CS behind NG. When I moved in, they put brand new HD/Lowe's 'Builder Beige' carpet in (previous tenets destroyed the apt., so I kinda got a new, but old place). Within a year the carpet was shot and I lived with me and my roommate and an occasional GF (or 2).

I am fairly particular about cleaning up and would vacuum weekly and only wore shoes when going outside (not inside). After 7 years in the place (when I finally moved out), the carpet was beyond bad. And I also cleaned it several times (rental from HEB).

If I had LVP or wood when I moved in, it would have looked so much nicer and probably not need to be replaced after I moved out.

Pretty much all of the condos in my 4-plex had to have carpet replaced every time someone moved out due to the cheapness of the carpet. I can only imagine the $300-$500 each year adds up quick.

~egon
mel07ag
AG
Okay, we've been convinced! We are going to do tile in kitchen and bathrooms, vinyl planking upstairs and carpet on the stairs.

anyone have a recommendation for a contractor that can do all of this in the DFW area? I would prefer to supply the tile and vinyl planks myself.

Thank you for all the help!
DannyDuberstein
AG
AGGODDESS said:

So much this. As a tenant, I'd happily get my own rugs in the spots I'd like vs. be on someone's grubby used carpet
powerbelly
AG
mel07ag said:

If you went LVP...

I hate carpet so no carpet in the bedroom would be a plus as a renter.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.