Garage Door Opener

1,317 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Whoop Delecto
Buck Compton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
House we are purchasing does not have a garage door opener or spring installed. Pretty standard 8 foot door with 10 foot ceilings.

I would do it myself, but installing the spring makes me a bit nervous. I could do the opener itself, but figure it's just easiest to have someone come do it all in one effort.

What am I looking at cost-wise to get one installed? Am I wrong to be nervous about the spring?
AggieGunslinger
AG
I'm in East Texas, I just paid 350 installed.
Texker
AG
It's always been worth the price to me to pay a garage door co. to handle things, especially when it comes to the spring. I like the LiftMaster belt driven product.
91_Aggie
AG
I think you are definitely right about being scared with that spring.
Unless you know what you are doing, I wouldn't touch that part.
coolerguy12
AG
Setting the spring is not hard at all. Watch a few YouTube videos and be very intentional in your movements while you do it. There is a garage door shop on the west side of Houston that has doors set up that you can "practice" on. The guy makes you sign a waiver to buy a spring but it's way cheaper than paying someone.
akaggie05
AG
coolerguy12 said:

Setting the spring is not hard at all. Watch a few YouTube videos and be very intentional in your movements while you do it. There is a garage door shop on the west side of Houston that has doors set up that you can "practice" on. The guy makes you sign a waiver to buy a spring but it's way cheaper than paying someone.

Yeah, nope.
Whoop Delecto
AG
BEaggie08
AG
WhoopRAB said:

I just paid $280 for the 2 garage door torsion springs (38" long orange stripe) with labor on a 8 ft X 16 ft hurricane rated door. He also oiled the tracks, tightened up fasteners, replaced end cables.

While the installer was working, I asked about the jack shaft openers. He loves them and recommends Chamberlain 8500W. It has WiFi and backup battery. They mount on the wall and connect to the side torsion pipe.

Jack shaft openers need an electrical outlet within 4 ft from top corner of the door opening.

The 8500W are $535 on Amazon right now and he sells for $775 installed. He said it is a easy install and to watch Amazon for sale in $425 range.

Another comment was that if you add any insulation or radiant barrier, install it prior to installing the springs. Extra weight of radiant barrier will impact the optimal spring adjustment.
I just installed the Chamberlain RJ020 about a month ago, which is the same as the 8500W without the backup battery. Pretty easy install. Used the pre-installed in-wall wiring for the wall control and sensors. Hardest part of the install was finding a 3/4" drill bit to install the automatic lock.
Whoop Delecto
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.