Closet Makeover

1,456 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 91AggieLawyer
AGGIE WH08P
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are wanting to redo our master closet soon and I'm looking for ideas as to what I should include. Are there any "must haves" that you have in your closets? Anything you'd avoid?

Right now our current closet is about 10'x15'. One wall has 3 levels of clothes rods for hangers. The other 2 walls have 1-2 levels of rods.

I want to include more drawers for folded clothes and other stuff. Probably some cabinets up high to store stuff we don't use often like luggage bags and other misc stuff.

I plan on having a carpenter do this for me. Don't care to take on this type of project at this time. Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciate!
The Fife
AGGIE WH08P said:

We are wanting to redo our master closet soon and I'm looking for ideas as to what I should include. Are there any "must haves" that you have in your closets? Anything you'd avoid?

Right now our current closet is about 10'x15'. One wall has 3 levels of clothes rods for hangers. The other 2 walls have 1-2 levels of rods.

I want to include more drawers for folded clothes and other stuff. Probably some cabinets up high to store stuff we don't use often like luggage bags and other misc stuff.

I plan on having a carpenter do this for me. Don't care to take on this type of project at this time. Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciate!
Go to IKEA and install closets from there. It's one of the best decisions we ever made when it comes to storage.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
Thanks for the reply and info. Is there one specific brand they offer? How have they held up? When I think of IKEA products, quality is always the main concern. I have never stepped foot in their store, but hear that a bunch of their furniture is good, but if you ever have to move it (relocate it), it doesn't hold up!
outlawag
AG
We redid our builder grade closet with elfa from the container store. we've slowly redid all the closets in the house to elfa over the last 6 years. lots of options and easy to install.

Container store has a big 30% off sale every january and we typically redo a closet every year. We've been very pleased.
jwoodmd
The Fife said:

AGGIE WH08P said:

Go to IKEA and install closets from there. It's one of the best decisions we ever made when it comes to storage.
IKEA, Volvo .... You got it bad for Scandinavia. Got any Husqvarna tools around?
The Fife
AGGIE WH08P said:

Thanks for the reply and info. Is there one specific brand they offer? How have they held up? When I think of IKEA products, quality is always the main concern. I have never stepped foot in their store, but hear that a bunch of their furniture is good, but if you ever have to move it (relocate it), it doesn't hold up!
Their closets are all the PAX line. Ours have been in for a couple of years now without any trouble, and we've reconfigured things a couple of times. It's not exactly something that gets heavy use so my guess is they should last a really long time.
The Fife
Nah, just a thing for finding a deal. Mrs Fife wanted to do the master closet with stuff from the Container Store but in comparison it just wasn't that great.

She bought the Volvo back when she was just someone I was dating and her budget was $2,000. Slim pickings in that price range even in 08. If I knew she'd become Mrs Fife I'd have chipped in and helped her get a Toyota or Honda.

The car's for sale on turbobricks.com! Plz buy it!
jwoodmd
The Fife said:

Nah, just a thing for finding a deal. Mrs Fife wanted to do the master closet with stuff from the Container Store but in comparison it just wasn't that great.

She bought the Volvo back when she was just someone I was dating and her budget was $2,000. Slim pickings in that price range even in 08. If I knew she'd become Mrs Fife I'd have chipped in and helped her get a Toyota or Honda.

The car's for sale on turbobricks.com! Plz buy it!
Great story!
AGGIE WH08P
AG
I'll stop by their store and put my hands on it. Thanks again
Gary79Ag
AG
I agree with Fife...Two thumbs up for IKEA PAX closet systems also!
TravelAg2004
AG
Just my $.02, but I'd recommend the Elfa system from Container Store. We did it to our master closet (and the sold the house about 8 months later) and it was great.

The thing I really like is how easy it is to reconfigure. So if in 3 years you take a new job and now need a lot of hanging space for suits that you don't have now, it's a 30 min job to reconfigure and move the shelves up or add additional hanging.
Vernada
AG
outlawag said:

We redid our builder grade closet with elfa from the container store. we've slowly redid all the closets in the house to elfa over the last 6 years. lots of options and easy to install.

Container store has a big 30% off sale every january and we typically redo a closet every year. We've been very pleased.
My advice exactly.

We did our two walk-ins during one of the 30% sales. Loved it so much, we gradually started converting as much as possible.

I can't tell you how much more functional it made our closets.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Before you or anyone else tears out what you have, get a stud finder and locate as many studs in the walls as you can. That will give you an idea as to what, if any, limitations you might have with a new closet system. When we bought our last house, I neglected to do this. I just started demo-ing the built ins and later regretted it in at least one closet because the framing was so awful. Even if you go with a contractor, you can tell him what you have to work with.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.