HELP! Caliche and soil replacement for large SHRUBS

1,153 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by freshfrenchfryfanatic
PaulSimonsGhost
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have some tremendous caliche deposits in my yards (San Antonio...sigh). So when I plant I have to decide how big I want things to grow with time.

I want to plant Yellow Esperanza(s) and Texas Sage at the corner and along the sides of my home.

I want them both to grow bushy in excess of 6 feet in height and with a diameter between 4 to 5 feet. The idea is to soften the front corner of the home; like in a Thomas Kincaid painting.

Then along the property line I'll be planting a row of 4 Texas lilac/chaste trees.

For the soil I'll buy this nitrogen rich good stuff made withTurkey s__t from a company in San Antonio just outside 1604 and Bandera.

My question is for the dimensions of growth I'm aiming for, how deep and wide do I need to dig for each?

3 feet down? 4 feet? 5?

What should my hole's diameter be? 5 feet?

I know I can get this sort of growth. Hell, the Walgreens near my house has a palisade wall of 6 ft. tall Texas Sage, and my lazy neighbor up the street has a 7 ft Esperanza.

Help & GIG'EM

ABATTBQ11
AG
Ask at rainbow gardens off Bandera. They probably have someone who will know.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Ask at rainbow gardens off Bandera. They probably have someone who will know.

I know exactly where that's at. And it's much closer than Milburger's.
freshfrenchfryfanatic
AG
It really depends on how big the plants you are going to buy are. You don't need to dig a 5 feet hole if you are buying an Esperanza in a gallon pot. For best results I would recommend renting a tiller and working compost, humus and peat into the existing soil. The plants you are talking about are generally easy to grow but having correct soil prep will help ensure success.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.