Sprinkler system help

1,168 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Gary79Ag
djosephm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anybody know what this is on my OLD sprinkler system? Moved into house last Oct and trying to shut off water to system.
djosephm
djosephm
JP76
Looks like one of these

https://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/products/lawn-irrigation/backflow-preventers/double-check-assemblies-dca/febco-fe850-dca-backflow-preventer
mAgnoliAg
AG
Double Check, and as surprising as it may be yours is in better shape than prolly 75% of the state of Texas that has one on their sprinkler system. Reason being they don't need to be tested so nobody cares.
mAgnoliAg
AG
If you need a way to isolate the irrigation and shut it off without replacing the DCVA, you can turn off the meter and plumb in a ball valve on the main.
djosephm
Magnolia you're the man... I was able to get the second shut off valve to turn and close with a small wrench, the first shutoff valve on the dcva simply spins and doesn't close... no handles on this thing I bet it is over 20 years old.

I really should replace the dcva and would like to plumb in a ball valve shutoff valve... this valve should be plumbed in before the dcva correct?

After getting one of the corroded valves to close I was able to redo all the plumbing in my 5 zone sprinkler valve box... I have never shut off the water main to the house before but I should be able to tackle that job with the right advice.
djosephm
mAgnoliAg
AG
djosephm said:

Magnolia you're the man... I was able to get the second shut off valve to turn and close with a small wrench, the first shutoff valve on the dcva simply spins and doesn't close... no handles on this thing I bet it is over 20 years old.

I really should replace the dcva and would like to plumb in a ball valve shutoff valve... this valve should be plumbed in before the dcva correct?

After getting one of the corroded valves to close I was able to redo all the plumbing in my 5 zone sprinkler valve box... I have never shut off the water main to the house before but I should be able to tackle that job with the right advice.

Law is you have to plumb a ball valve on meter side of double check if you replace it and "if installed below grade" a y strainer must be installed just before the double check on the meter side.

What city do you live in?
craig09
AG
Lord help you when you have to do a repair on that manifold. You're gonna create new curse words.
mAgnoliAg
AG
craig09 said:

Lord help you when you have to do a repair on that manifold. You're gonna create new curse words.

I was gonna tell him but I didn't want to be mean and disheartening
Gary79Ag
AG
craig09 said:

And here, I thought mine was a beatch... LOL
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.