Roach problem

3,905 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
aquaboss98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I keep seeing lots of roaches in our house. I have gone around the perimeter and sprayed so at least now they are dying. Are there any suggestions on how to repel the in the first place? I don't really have any large bushes around my house that wold house them like I used to. Wife is getting irritated and not sure what else to do.
Gig 'Em '98

waltonloads11
AG
Spray quarterly with a pest control company
RK
AG
Get some demon wp powder online and mix it in a sprayer. Do it yourself. It's easy and that sh*t works like a champ.
RK
AG
Also, spay inside and out until they are gone. Then spray outside to maintain.
AgLiving06
RK said:

Also, spay inside and out until they are gone. Then spray outside to maintain.

You spray demon inside your house? Or in the attic?

I have two kids and a dog and not sure I'd feel good spraying that where they could get to.
RK
AG
Per the label it is safe for indoor use. Now, I don't know that guarantees it won't shave a few years off your life...but the years you do have will be roach free.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I use Suspend SC. My old house I sprayed once in side and out. Then going forward only sprayed out. Never had any problem with ants, spiders, roaches, or any other common household pests like that.
schwack schwack
AG
Been using Talstar P - works really good. It was what the exterminator used next door to me & we had a long discussion about it. Safe even for food handling areas per the label. Odorless & clear. Great price point too. We get it from www.domyown.com

We've used Demon & Suspend in properties and they work well, too, but Talstar is cheaper.
Josepi
AG
waltonloads11 said:

Spray quarterly with a pest control company

This is a waste of money

I use demon inside and out. Inside, I only spray where the kids and dogs won't touch. Behind toilets, under sinks, hot water heater closet, etc... Outside I spray the perimeter of the house with special attention to the doors and windows. If you have a pier and beam house get under there and spray everywhere.

We had Orkin and Terminex for years before I started doing it myself. We now see a fraction of the roaches we used to (maybe 2-3 per year), and the cost is around $25 per year.
Post removed:
by user
UmustBKidding
Talstar p is bifenthrin, is bifen it
What I use indoors and my friends that are commercial exterminators.
UmustBKidding
Spray is actually unlikely to be completely effective by itself. You should use bait in combination with spraying (30 day intervals until controlled) and making sure they don't have a ready food source
cbminers
AG
I recommend a multi-tier approach if there is an ongoing infestation.

Outside
1. Bifen liquid (hose end sprayer) on the yard to try to get the existing population in check around your house with a quick effect.
2. Demand CS or other micro-encapsulated (long residual) chemical 4-6' out from the house and 4-6' in from the fence. This has a long residual effect.
3. Demon WP to all exposed foundation where the foundation meets the siding/brick. Pay close attention to the lower 1/3 of every door and window on the 1st floor. Also pay close attention to any other potential access point - weep holes, plumping/wiring runs (at the AC is a good example). This leaves behind a residual powder (WP) that has incredible knock down power but is completely useless if it gets washed off. Focus on areas that aren't routinely soaked.
4. Bifen granule to the whole property.

All of the chemicals will have suggested rates for infestation vs. maintenance. Follow the instructions.

Repeat all 4 of these @ 45 days. After that, maintenance application on items 2-4 every 90 days OR as soon as you see any activity. A particularly rainy stretch can render most of this stuff useless sooner than 90 days. Likewise, during a drought you can get more than 90 days out of a treatment.

Demon and Demand are safe to use indoors. Focus on doors and windows, bathroom plumbing, and along baseboards behind furniture and in other places where the kids and dogs won't get in it. I don't put anything where my kids or pets are going to get in it, mainly because it's not really necessary. Again, follow the label instructions, most of these chemicals are safe for humans and pets AFTER they dry completely.

You do all that you absolutely will not have a roach problem.

Good luck.

JP76
I use Demon WP for outside

And this for indoors

https://www.lowes.com/pd/ORTHO-Home-Defense-1-33-Gallon-Insect-Killer/1000194289

The issue with demon indoors is if you have darker floors/grout or paint you will see the white residue when it dries.

UmustBKidding
The Ortho is bifenthrin.
For longer residual and especially with treating things like scorpions use something microencapusulated like lambdastar or demand cs Like cbminers suggested in place of the bifen.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Before taking random advice on the inter webs.. on which pesticide to spray all over your home.

One should start with the actual type of roaches in question

Can you describe these roaches a bit. Roaches come in many different sizes and simply trying to spray something and kill them isn't the best method. That's what make roaches stronger and harder to kill later.. infestations usually come months after unsuccessful trips to big box stores or just spraying random X pesticide

google German roach versus Wood Roach and get back to us
Are they big brown? Or rather small and look like German roaches is the main difference usually
txags92
AG
I would start with bait traps first before I started spraying pesticides around the house. We have used the bait traps for years and almost never see a roach in the house.
cbminers
AG
EcoZapp.Makes.Crisp.Air said:

Before taking random advice on the inter webs.. on which pesticide to spray all over your home.

Can you describe these roaches a bit. Roaches come in many different sizes and simply trying to spray something and kill them isn't the best method. That's what make roaches stronger and harder to kill later.. infestations usually come months after unsuccessful trips to big box stores or just spraying random X pesticide

Are they big brown? Or rather small and look like German roaches is the main difference usually
I think it's fair to advise caution but I haven't seen anything on this thread that constitutes even remotely dangerous advice.

Stick with the multi tiered approach (virtually any pest control company will take a similar approach) and stick with chemicals that are safe to use around the house. Beyond that, it's not rocket science. You certainly don't need to understand roach phylogeny to solve this problem.

Good luck
sts7049
AG

let me guess, you guys also sell a magic potion that drastically increases the efficiency of pesticides
03_Aggie
Roach sniffing cat.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
cbminers said:

I think it's fair to advise caution but I haven't seen anything on this thread that constitutes even remotely dangerous advice.

Stick with the multi tiered approach (virtually any pest control company will take a similar approach) and stick with chemicals that are safe to use around the house. Beyond that, it's not rocket science. You certainly don't need to understand roach phylogeny to solve this problem.

Good luck

Mostly True- Except if "Roaches everywhere" = German roaches.

Doing a bad job at killing German roaches can increase infestations and make them much more difficult to kill later. More Resistant and higher numbers ~28 days later

A roach infestation brewing isn't a fun thing. It's a social issue to x degree
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Yes- Add a little bit of vinegar to the water before mixing chemicals

makes pesticides last longer, and you can use less of them and get better results..
Dr Lane Trowlan
I dusted my walls with Diatomaceous Earth. See the below product from Amazon for about $13. I took the covers off all my light switches, inserted the duster tip between the switch and wall, and dusted inside the walls. The DE falls to the bottom of the walls where they walk, and will kill them by disrupting their exoskeloton. The benefit of this method is that the other roaches will eat the dead/poisoned roaches, which will in turn kill them as well. This is how you take out colonies of them, not just individual roaches that come across your path. I've only seen one in my garage since I've done this (and I didn't really dust the garage, but I will now). Best of luck.

DE from Amazon
MAS444
AG
Doesn't Borax kind of do the same thing?
musicforall
If they are the big ones, make sure no trees touch your house, even when the wind blows. Make sure all mulch is way below the weep holes. Cedar mulch seems less attractive to bugs. And then start looking for any water damage to the house. They like to live where they can get moisture, especially wet rotten wood. A tiny roof leak, a soggy window sill, water standing in the air conditioner pan, a small leak under a sink. Seeing those means time to do a whole house check up for moisture. We had a problem that was not solved until we found a soft spot under an upstairs windowsill that was impossible to see until the roof was replaced.

The little ones - they are there for food. Don't leave pet food out. Check under the fridge for anything that may have dropped. Make sure the kids do not have any food in their rooms. Nothing gets left in the sink or on the counter at night. Clean the stove top daily. Check that there is not something open in the pantry, especially stuff like cookies and chips, they like greasy stuff - it is possible that they came into your house from a contaminated food. Get rid of newspapers and paper bags because they like to nest in them.

Do all this and you can drastically get rid of the need for poison. Otherwise you will just have to keep treating for them because you will attract new ones.
Win At Life
AG
I once had an old Lakehouse with roach problems that greatly reduced when I sealed up all the cracks they used to get in. Caulk and/or weather stripping around plumbing entrances, doors, attic door, loose wall plates, etc.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
- One huge roll of Copper Mesh for ~$40 helps with any weep holes. Tiny bit last years and years. ( don't seal them up though! )
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.