Craftsman Cordless Drill

4,265 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DallasAggies01
Fishing Fools
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bought one 5 years ago for use away from the house. Maybe 100 holes or screws usage. Recharged the battery and now have a grrrrrrrrr noise and smoking. Smells nasty. Is this consider one of those throw away items after several years or just a piece a crap? Any other brand recommendations?

https://share.icloud.com/photos/03EkZaqEtqMnKmp-3F9c3hvdg
Kenneth_2003
AG
What's smoking? The drill or the battery?
Fishing Fools
Drill

Marvin_Zindler
AG
Craftsman of 2019 does not equal Craftsman of 1999.
agnerd
AG
Motor is fried. Not worth it. Just spent a month getting the correct motor for a cordless drill. Had to order from China. Only ones available here cost as much as the entire drill. Then you usually have to replace the gear it comes with with the old gear. I won't be doing it again.
Shiner Bock
AG
Can't believe I'm saying this but my ryobi drill and driver set has become one of my most trusted tools. I've abused them with work too and keep going same as when I bought.
Bob_Ag
AG
Throw it away.

My Makita lithium ion set is 10 years old and still going strong.
EMY92
AG
I had good luck with Ryobi with hard use.

My latest set is Milwaukee, if you register the batteries, you get a lifetime warranty on the batteries. That was more than enough to pick Milwaukee over the comparable brands.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Is it the 19.2? Is the battery OK? If so, there are a few ways you can go. You can get a bare tool drill like this:

Craftsman C3 19.2 Volt 3/8 Inch Drill Driver Newest Model 315.DD2015 (Bare Tool

You can get the full package and have another battery:

Craftsman C3 19.2-volt 3/8-in. Lithium-ion Drill/driver Kit

Or, you can punt and go with a totally different brand. If you do that, I'd do 2 things: first, go brushless. Second, get a drill and driver kit. Driving screws with a drill gets old fast, especially after you've driven them with a driver. And if you're going to have a driver, you might as well have the drill from the same maker (same battery, feel, etc.). Currently, my drill (Panasonic -- 15+ years old) and driver (Makita -- 10+ years old) are 2 different brands. It works OK but I'm seriously considering ditching both and buying new.

As far as brands go, well, you'll get everyone's opinion. I'd recommend watching video comparisons of brand shootouts and go with the one that you think suits you. You can't go wrong with most of the big brands: Makita, Dewalt, Milwaukee, etc. I'm partial to Makita but I also have bare tools that use Makita batteries, so I'm somewhat locked into that universe. But I have no complaints.
Builder93
AG
Who makes all of the power tools?
62strat
AG
Bob_Ag said:

Throw it away.

My Makita lithium ion set is 10 years old and still going strong.
I still use my 15 year old 18v dewalt a few times a month. It has the Same battery it came with.
insulator_king
AG
I have the C-Man Nextex 12V impact driver, and it is great! I've used i thard for 3-5 years, and it is still going. Great for working on the car too.
Fishing Fools
Thanks for the info! I'll go shopping this weekend!

Señor Chang
AG
If you want a cheap one, I've had this one about 4 years and it's still going strong.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BLACK-DECKER-20-Volt-MAX-Lithium-Cordless-Drill-With-2-Batteries-BCD702C2BWM/635587897?u1=891e42766af911e9bddedeea9ecd979f0INT&oid=223073.1&wmlspartner=lw9MynSeamY&sourceid=26694853053624730436&affillinktype=10&veh=aff
Guitarsoup
AG
We had the Craftsman C3 system. Batteries slowly dying, not worth investing any more in them since they aren't made anymore.

Switching all my power tools to Milwaukee. Most are the 12V, which sounds like it will be more than enough for your uses.
Aggie1205
AG
For just occasional home use go with Milwaukee M12 or Ryobi 18v. Tons of other options that run on the same battery platform. Lots of lifestyle products as well.
JuCo CH46
That's a great link Builder93. To bad it doesn't show all the private labeling that those guys do for each other. People would be shocked how often a company will private label tools for a direct competitor. It's funny to listen to ppl love a tool and bad mouth another when the only difference is the case that holds it together....
Guitarsoup
AG
Ryobi and Milwaukee are owned by the same parent company, but they definitely aren't the same tool.
BrazosDog02
AG
I use Milwaukee Fuel now exclusively because I Use them almost daily but for what it's worth I also used my Ryobi tools before I could afford Milkwaukee and I have never in 16 years had one fail with HARD use. Batteries occasionally went down. You won't convince me a ryobi tool is poor quality. It's not fast or strong as my Milwaukee's but it sure as fook didn't cost as much and the fact is that it still drives screws.

Never had a craftsman cordless tool make it past 5 years. Ever.

Toss the Crapsman. Grab a Ryobi or Ridgid for your use.

For what it's worth my M12 Fuel hands down gets more use than my M18 Fuel. It outruns most 18v tools and it's more comfortable to use. I absolutely love my M12s Fuel tools.
Guitarsoup
AG
Same. Love my M12 Fuel. Not lacking for power at all, and they are light and easy to use.
Diggity
AG
Ever since they changed their name to Craftsperson, I feel like the quality has really dropped.
rwtxag83
AG
I've had the same DeWalt since 2001. Now, I used to use it all the time, not so much lately, but it still runs strong.
Greater love hath no man than this....
Fishing Fools
I'm just an occasional weekend warrior that needs to drill holes or drive screws away from a plug. Saw Ryobi at HD for $99. Drill, battery, and charger.

Check Yes or No?

BrazosDog02
AG
Not bad but What about ridgid? What's the price comparison? Also, ryobi seems like they should have a combo for that kind of money. Seriously. If you can wait, you could probably snag a few tools for not much more if you wait for a special.
UmustBKidding
Your dollars for sure go further during sales which home Depot has often. The typically are one brand at time. I prefer rigid with lifetime battery and tool warranty, but they are spendy when not on sale.
I watch techbargains for sales, and home Depot has started doing one say sales so looking for ads in the newspaper is insufficient.
Looks like today's one day sale is Milwaukee about 40% off on several sets include m12 and m18
Splitag
AG
Shiner Bock said:

Can't believe I'm saying this but my ryobi drill and driver set has become one of my most trusted tools. I've abused them with work too and keep going same as when I bought.
This. I got it as a gift and scoffed. I liked it so much that I bought the drill driver and an extra battery. I am two years in and they are both great tools for me!
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Any experience with Ryobi router bits?
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Aggie1205
AG
Fishing Fools said:

I'm just an occasional weekend warrior that needs to drill holes or drive screws away from a plug. Saw Ryobi at HD for $99. Drill, battery, and charger.

Check Yes or No?

Should be fine. You can always add more tools and better batteries in the future.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Fishing Fools said:

Check Yes or No?

Highly recommend a drill and driver combo. You may not think you need it but drills themselves can be a little weak at driving 2" and longer screws into studs. Drivers do it without thinking. Plus, you leave the drill bit on. You can get the 12v kits for 129 at HD or the 18v ones for 159 and up, depending on features (brushless, etc.)
Guitarsoup
AG
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-FUEL-12-Volt-Li-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-Hammer-Drill-and-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-w-Free-M12-3-8-in-Ratchet-2598-22-2457-20/305883849

This is a fantastic combo.

Fuel is Milwaukee's top line stuff, so in this case, their top drill and impact driver for the M12 line. Hammer Drill, impact driver, 3/8" ratchet, two batteries and a charger for $200.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Decided to get a new set:

Makita XT279S 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 2-Pc. Combo Kit

Sort of married to Makita since I have a couple of bare tools using that battery. So I ordered this last night and the price has already gone up 20 bucks since! I also sold my 10 year old Makita driver so I'm only into the new set for less than what I'd pay to buy 2 new replacement batteries.

Can't wait to try out the brushless.
DallasAggies01
AG
Troutslime said:

Any experience with Ryobi router bits?

I have ryobi bits and have no complaints at all in my limited use.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.