Backyard dead due to over application of Weed N Feed, what now?

8,126 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by texAZtea
Rice and Fries
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So my wife and I were complaining about the backyard to each other a few sunday nights ago. Well, that Monday she went and bought Weed N Feed and just dumped 1/3 of a bag for our entire backyard of 1100sf. I guess she over applied 2.4x-ish or so.

Fast forwarding to today, we have a 75% dead (except some of the weeds are still alive - ironic) and wondering what to do...

Do we just simply round-up the entire back yard and then till it and wait a few weeks and plant some more seeds?

Is there any way to get the grass to grow back?

Just re-sod the whole place? This would mean I'd need to find the sprinkler lines

sts7049
AG
the first thing i'd do is ask your wife to read the instructions next time
ABATTBQ11
AG
If you don't spank your wife, now would be a good time to start.

Just kidding. Kind of.
BosAG06
AG
What kind of grass was it? You should never use weed n feed on St. Augustine as it will kill it.
DannyDuberstein
AG
BosAG06 said:

What kind of grass was it? You should never use weed n feed on St. Augustine as it will kill it.
This is a good rule, period.
Rice and Fries
BosAG06 said:

It was St. Augustine
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, she basically just put broadleaf killer on a broadleaf plant/grass. I would probably wait a month or so to see how it recovers before deciding on next steps.

Something about sending a woman do a man's job comes to mind.
Whoop Delecto
AG
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

Quote:

BosAG06 said:
This is a good rule, period.

An equally good rule is: You should never use St. Augustine.
rancher1953
Only follow Randy Lemmon's advice if you have money to burn. He gets paid each time he mentions a product. First water heavy to leach products out of soil. If you get a heavy rain that will do it. Then find some St. Augustine sod and go back with it. You are good to go then. It may take a while but soon your yard will look good. Follow Neil Sperry's advice and you cannot go wrong. He says never use fertilizer and weed control out of the same bag. Hope this helps.
JP76
What kind of weed and feed was it ?

2 4 d ?

Atrazine ?
Kenneth_2003
AG
Long term... seriously... Just ignore the weeds. Just ignore the weeds!!! Concentrate on a healthy, thick lawn. The weeds are seasonal, the lawn grows spring thru fall. No weeds growing now will still be around a month from now.

Just ignore the weeds!!! Focus on the lawn.
lotsofhp
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Long term... seriously... Just ignore the weeds. Just ignore the weeds!!! Concentrate on a healthy, thick lawn. The weeds are seasonal, the lawn grows spring thru fall. No weeds growing now will still be around a month from now.

Just ignore the weeds!!! Focus on the lawn.

I agree with this man
lotsofhp
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Just kidding. Kind of.

I also agree with this man. She'll love it too btw
Kenneth_2003
AG
lotsofhp said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Just kidding. Kind of.

Give her a good hard time for killing thr lawn, but don't ride her too hard for it.

5 years from now you'll laugh about this.
babyshark
With his 2nd wife
Rice and Fries
JP76 said:

What kind of weed and feed was it ?

2 4 d ?

Atrazine ?

Southern weed N Feed, 29-0-10 I think. What's the best way to dispose of the unused parts?
Smokedraw01
I'm sorry that "your wife" is the one that killed you grass. People make mistakes from time to time and we hope "your wife" uses this as a life lesson and takes responsibility for her actions. It would suck if she got on an internet board and blamed it on her spouse.
Rice and Fries
Smokedraw01 said:

I'm sorry that "your wife" is the one that killed you grass. People make mistakes from time to time and we hope "your wife" uses this as a life lesson and takes responsibility for her actions. It would suck if she got on an internet board and blamed it on her spouse.

As someone who studied Ag basics in the college of Ag and obtained my undergrad from the college, I love the "inferences" you are making! I sure wouldn't have known to do a simple read of instructions or how to figure out how the backyard took 2.4x-ish of Weed N Feed. Let me know if I need to get her on here to prove the validity of my claim to a bunch of Aggie strangers on a forum. I also appreciate all the "helpful" advice you provided in your reply about how to best remedy the situation.
txaggie_08
AG
Smokedraw01
Rice and Fries said:

Smokedraw01 said:

As someone who studied Ag basics in the college of Ag and obtained my undergrad from the college, I love the "inferences" you are making! I sure wouldn't have known to do a simple read of instructions or how to figure out how the backyard took 2.4x-ish of Weed N Feed. Let me know if I need to get her on here to prove the validity of my claim to a bunch of Aggie strangers on a forum. I also appreciate all the "helpful" advice you provided in your reply about how to best remedy the situation.

I'm sorry if I offended you. My post was a joke and I hoped my use of the wink emoji would make that clear. I truly am sorry for any perceived offense.
PFG
AG
Why do people still buy weed and feed?

: |
fido00
AG
Because it is easy to buy, it sounds like it is easy to put down, and cuts down on the amount of work you have to do.

I was just searching for fertilizers at Lowe's website, and it is actually kind of hard to pick one that is not some sore of weed and feed.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

lotsofhp said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Just kidding. Kind of.

Give her a good hard time for killing the lawn, but don't ride her too hard for it.

5 years from now you'll laugh about this.

Yeah. You don't want to reinforce killing the lawn.
JSKolache
AG
LiveOak said:

Why do people still buy weed and feed?

: |
Cuz that's about all you can get at HD, Lowes, WM - which prolly have 80% of the DIY market share in this biz
Martin Q. Blank
Martin Q. Blank
Smokedraw01 said:

Rice and Fries said:

Smokedraw01 said:

I'm sorry if I offended you. My post was a joke and I hoped my use of the wink emoji would make that clear. I truly am sorry for any perceived offense.
I doubt he even has a wife.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
fido00 said:

Because it is easy to buy, it sounds like it is easy to put down, and cuts down on the amount of work you have to do.

I was just searching for fertilizers at Lowe's website, and it is actually kind of hard to pick one that is not some sore of weed and feed.
Which is why nobody* buys fertilizer at Home Depot/Lowes

*but for people like the OP
Rice and Fries
Thanks to all who provided the helpful responses on how to best remedy the situation.

Given that this thread has now been derailed because some people's incessant urge to make funny jokes for fake internet points, it's time to shut it down.

I'll turn to some lawn experts and leave the forum to be patrolled by the internet fungi's and their jokes in peace.
fido00
AG
You've been around this site for seven years and still think that a thread can't get derailed at any moment? You've received some good info and also some jokes. If you can't take a joke get off the net.
Rice and Fries
fido00 said:

You've been around this site for seven years and still think that a thread can't get derailed at any moment? You've received some good info and also some jokes. If you can't take a joke get off the net.
Hurr durr internet man said mean things
LSB_2002
AG
Re-sod!
Smokedraw01
Rice and Fries said:

Thanks to all who provided the helpful responses on how to best remedy the situation.

Given that this thread has now been derailed because some people's incessant urge to make funny jokes for fake internet points, it's time to shut it down.

I'll turn to some lawn experts and leave the forum to be patrolled by the internet fungi's and their jokes in peace.

I really didn't mean to derail this thread or offend you. These boards are full of posts similar to mine, albeit they are much funnier too. It was a joke that really wasn't meant to garner any real response, especially one that was so serious on your part. Again, apologies and hopefully you're able to get your yard back in order. From personal experience, it's a pain in the ass when it appears that resodding is an answer.

Good luck.
The Lost
Rice and Fries said:

Smokedraw01 said:

lol so why did the guy with an ag background let his wife do the work

and while i get not reading instructions to put together a table, who doesn't think to read them on something that's literal goal is to kill
OldArmyBrent
AG
I don't feel near as bad about my attempt at pre emergent that seems to have caused more weeds than I've ever seen before.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.