Turn Water off during long vacation?

2,064 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 62strat
UpstateAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're going to be out of the country for almost two weeks. Is it worth turning the water off? Or is that overkill?
lotsofhp
AG
I say do it. Only takes a minute and it's good piece of mind.

I have a soft water loop in my garage that has a ball valve in it that I shut when I head out of town. Why not.
JP76
If you shut the water off for a decent amount of time make sure you unplug (electric) or turn off (gas) the water heater(s) or you will have other issues to address when you return back home.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Next time you have your plumber service your water heater, have him put a shutoff valve on it. I'm guessing it is before. Anyway, easy way to shut off the water without going to the street and shouldn't cost much.
p_bubel
Don't bother.
insulator_king
AG
Unless you have shark bite fittings....

https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/3024529
62strat
AG
JP76 said:

If you shut the water off for a decent amount of time make sure you unplug (electric) or turn off (gas) the water heater(s) or you will have other issues to address when you return back home.
What will happen?

We always turn off water to house if gone for more than a few days. We had the unfortunate happen one time.. faulty shank on bathroom faucet upstairs that leaked for 3 days while gone.. and it was hot water.

Luckily it was under warranty, so Moen footed the bill, but it was months of construction and likely tens of thousands of dollars worth of repairs on 3 floors in 5 different rooms

We have a shutoff valve in our basement, so it's easy enough.. why wouldn't you turn it off?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.