Any Arborists Here?

909 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ktownag08
ktownag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have a young Oak tree that's dying at the top. Very slow progression over last year and a half or so but seemingly more noticeable now. Has it's own water dripping and gets same amount of water as the two trees near it which look fine. Any thoughts at what could be wrong with it?

In Houston if any good local recommendations.
Courtesy Flush
AG
Give it another year 6 months to see how it does and if it doesn't make it, replace it in the fall. Some live oaks make it and some don't. If you plant another one that is anywhere near the size of the others it will catch up before you know it. I had one that had a lot of dead spots in it with big limbs that had to be cut out of it. It looked bad for several years but it eventually grew out of it and now it looks just like the others that are next to it.*

*I am not an arborist
lotsofhp
AG
A good first step is making sure the root flare is properly exposed

Make sure you aren't using any weed and feed products

* not an arborist
Texker
AG
Ditto re root flare. Also, what is the water set-up? How big is the tree? (Measure diameter about 12 inches off ground.)

Not an arborist either.
ktownag08
AG
Root flare issue makes sense. Definitely none showing compared to my others. Watched some videos to show how to correct carefully.

Tree is roughly 5" in diameter
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.