Fan on outside A/C not coming on.

2,560 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The compressor is running, but the fan is not. I'm assuming this is the capacitor, but I know I replaced it either last year or the year before. They should last much longer than that, so I'm wondering what could be killing them (assuming the fan motor didn't die). Any ideas on what to look for when I check it out in the morning?
F1uxCapacitor
AG
We had the same issue a few years back at our old house and it was as you said, fan motor died. Any possibility it's still under warranty?
jt2hunt
AG
Fan motor or capacitor most likely
BKS_Aggie08
AG
Definitely check the capacitor, they don't last as long as you'd hope or think. If you don't have a multimeter that measures capacitance, I believe you can check it by using a screwdriver to turn the fan blade while unit is on. If fan kicks on, then capacitor is bad.
TXAGGIES
If you can hear a soft humming it's most likely the capacitor
PlanoAg98
AG
I've only had my fan stop working twice in the 4 years I've owned this house. Both times a mouse had gotten caught in the blades and jammed it. Removed the mouse and the fan started right up. This root cause should be pretty easy to identify as soon as you open the unit.
Bob_Ag
AG
Turn on the AC, grab a hanger or stick and spin the blades. If you can get it to spin up, it's probably the capacitor. Find a place that will sell to residents and swap it out for cheap.
UnderoosAg
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

I'm wondering what could be killing them (assuming the fan motor didn't die).

Hard starting compressors in Texas heat. My unit is on the southwest side of the house. I'm on cap #3 in about 8 years. Aren't you in SA?
MGS
It could also be the contactor.
Cromagnum
AG
Bob_Ag said:

Turn on the AC, grab a hanger or stick and spin the blades. If you can get it to spin up, it's probably the capacitor. Find a place that will sell to residents and swap it out for cheap.

Also, get one a bit larger than the one that comes out. They last longer in the summer heat we get down here as they have more startup juice to get the system going
KK
Could also be that a wire came loose inside the housing that goes to the motor and was cut by the fan.

Speaking from personal experience....
jaggiemaggie
AG
I've had to replace my capacitor the last 2 years.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Yep.
ABATTBQ11
AG
It's a 20 year old unit. I think the warranty is out.

Looks like a bad fan motor. I'll have to find a place and get a new one.
jt2hunt
AG
Not if compressor is working
UnderoosAg
AG
There's an appliance parts place off Nakoma that has caps for about $25. Fan motors are gonna be one of the supply houses off Alamo Downs, but they get ****ty on what they will sell to whom.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I know where I can get a capacitor. A1 Parts has been really good with anything I've ever needed. I can order a motor off Amazon, but I need to get a part number off the one that's there. Been too busy with the patio to really do much about it. Thanks for the info though.
jaggiemaggie
AG
I've also had good luck with supply house .com
Ribeye-Rare
AG
UnderoosAg said:

Fan motors are gonna be one of the supply houses off Alamo Downs, but they get ****ty on what they will sell to whom.

Yeah,

A/C stuff is one of the last industrial lines where the parts houses still 'protect' their regular contractor customers at the expense of alienating the do-it-yourself or non A/C contractor crowd.

Years ago, electrical and plumbing supply houses were just as bad. If the counter 'boys' didn't recognize you, good luck getting waited on and being treated respectfully.

The advent of the big box stores and the ability of anyone to purchase parts off the internet broke down most of those walls, though.

I ran an industrial plant for over 30 years, and it used to infuriate me when my guys needed an A/C or refrigeration part to repair a piece of manufacturing equipment and those A/C houses wouldn't deal with us. Their attitude was 'call a serviceperson', even though my guys knew a helluva lot more than most service 'techs' did.

I finally reached a truce with one (and only one) of the places in town by setting up a special 'industrial user' account with them, and then they would grudgingly sell to me.

Still, it didn't always go smoothly. One day we had something break and I asked my wife (who was on the side of town where the parts house was) to swing by to pick up a part and hot shot it over to me.

When she brought the part to me, she said "I'm never going back to that place. Those guys are a&&holes!"

I still laugh about it.

Anyway, about that motor -- write the number down off the nameplate and either get it from Grainger (not cheap), or buy if off the internet and get quick delivery.
sawemoffshort07
AG
My experience with same symptoms was bad bearing/fan motor. Pulled high amps and melted my contactor, ended up buying a new unit
agz win
AG
Squirrels can eat the wires.
Cromagnum
AG
Only a matter of time before it all goes to online orders anyways. Eff those glorified counter boys.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Finally got a chance to open it up last night, but just to pull the service sheets out. I've tried searching all of the numbers on the fan, but I can't find a direct replacement. I still need to test it all with a meter just to make sure it isn't the capacitor, but it doesn't start when kick started with a stick.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I was having trouble reading the faded label on my motor and was starting to worry about finding a replacement. Lucky for me, Trane includes a parts list with their service and spec sheets that are tucked into the control housing.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Well, I finally got around to replacing the motor today. The weather has been fairly mild, aside from some rain that kept me from doing it this weekend, so other priorities kept popping up. Since this week is supposed to heat up, I decided I had to get it done tonight.

I got the old motor it very easily, but of course the fan blade was stuck to the motor shaft. After some shots of PB Blaster, I put a socket over it and tapped out down the shaft a little. That loosened it up enough to get it to turn on the shaft a little, and I eventually worked it off. I got everything put back together, and it all fired right up. Here's to hoping it lasts another 20 years, knock on wood.

Also, I feel I should mention that I ordered the new motor from Arnold's Service Company out of Kentucky. It's a small family run outfit that had good service, a very helpful website geared towards DIY'ers, and phenomenal prices. They say they want to earn your business, and I believe it. My motor was $170 from them, and the next lowest price was $230 with a 2-4 week delay for a special order. Arnold's shipped the next day with a personal, handwritten note on the receipt thanking me for being a customer. I highly recommend these guys if you need any sort of HVAC part, and I will probably be using them for everything HVAC from now on.
AW 1880
AG
Glad you got it fixed. Regarding the hard start for the capacitors, I heard someone mention that there is a kit you can add to soften the start. I would assume this lengthens the life of the capacitor.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I believe it's called a torque multiplier. There is one on there already. As I understand it, it is to help the motor by adding a a second, phased boost at startup using since sort of electrical magic.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Found this video the other day, maybe helpful to some with a/c issues , maybe worth a laugh to others

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.