Tankless Water Heaters - Propane

747 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by WThornton
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I"m 100% sure this has been covered, but i'm also lazy and the search function here sucks something awful, so I'll ask.

Looking at a tankless when my current water heater bites the big one, what are good brands to look into? My application will be supply for the entire house, or possibly looking at splitting the system up if going 2 smaller units makes better sense to do so.

Current system is a propane fueled system, no desire or room to move to electric without the headache of adding a sub-panel off my main, and that is less desirable than a good kick in the testicles for me.

Unlike most of Texags, I don't have money to burn - so I want this to be best overall value when considering cost, maintenance, warranty, etc. I know Rinnai and Bosch make them, but surely there are other options out there this board has good experience with. Bad experience welcome as well, so I know who to shy away from.

Brands I know of or have at least a rudimentary knowledge of:

Rinnai
Rhreem
Bosch
Tagaki
Eccotemp
AO Smith

Any others, pros, cons, etc?
who?mikejones
AG
Where are you located?
schmellba99
AG
South of Houston
who?mikejones
AG
Great. If the water isnt hard, then a tankless water heater system should be fine. Get one for each floor. Be sure to do yearly maintenance.

We usually prefer highly efficient tanked water heaters because the hard water in austin can greatly reduce the efficiency if the home owner doesnt keep it under control. In fact, the corrosion can cause the entire unit to fail.
Ikanizer
AG
I have Rinnai propane fired. One for the whole house. The water (well) is hard and we have a softener. Heater works great. One thing I noticed is that you can turn the flow rate down to a trickle and the fire doesn't go out. Our unit is mounted on an exterior wall, north facing with almost no weather protection. Performs under all conditions.
schmellba99
AG
who?mikejones said:

Great. If the water isnt hard, then a tankless water heater system should be fine. Get one for each floor. Be sure to do yearly maintenance.

We usually prefer highly efficient tanked water heaters because the hard water in austin can greatly reduce the efficiency if the home owner doesnt keep it under control. In fact, the corrosion can cause the entire unit to fail.

Water is hard AF here, mostly calcium if memory serves. I dont have a softener installed yet, that is my spring project. I want to find the previous owner and contractor for my house and beat them for not installing a soft water loop during construction.
WThornton
AG
Ours is a Navien brand. We have propane also.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.