Possible chimney flashing leak

1,574 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ravingfans
NWE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Water has leaked into our living room the past several times it has rained. It appears to be coming in by the right side of the fireplace/also near a window. Has anyone experienced this before, if so
ravingfans
AG
Yes, I had the same problem--damaged the floors. I have a great roofer that I believe fixed it when he replaced the roof.

The wood floor is damaged, and I'm not sure how to be certain that the problem is completely fixed before I replace the bad floor section.

Couple of problems contributed:

1) wood paneling on backside of Chimney rotted out
2) bad treatment of flashing around the Chimney connection to roof
3) ridge vent was carried all the way to the fireplace backing

Remedies:
1) changed from wood to brick by a mason
2) flashing replaced by roofer that knew how to do it right
3) ridge vent was stopped 18" short of the fireplace.
4) ice shield rubber material was placed all across the roof section in back of the fireplace.

I would like to know what kind of test will answer definitively whether the problem is solved? Perhaps a moisture detector during a rainstorm? Sheetrock is still opened up and would like to know 100% before fixing it or the floors.

When I get back to Dallas end of week I can tell you who the roofer is and contact info.
Gary79Ag
AG
Quote:

I would like to know what kind of test will answer definitively whether the problem is solved? Perhaps a moisture detector during a rainstorm? Sheetrock is still opened up and would like to know 100% before fixing it or the floors.
Water hose...
hillcountryag86
AG
Gary79Ag said:

Quote:

Water hose...
I wouldn't trust a water hose for a test. It can't duplicate storm / heavy rain conditions.

I had the same problem with a poor flashing job around a chimney. The result was damaged sheetrock. A roofer repaired what he thought was the problem. I waited until the next significant storm to find out. The leak was only partially fixed as water still came in. Roofer went up again and repaired a different area. Waited for another storm before deciding the issue was fixed. Then I repaired the drywall.

Unfortunately, the process took several months as we were in a drought and storms were few and far between.

A water hose doesn't have the pressure, wind, etc. You may think you have it corrected, fix the interior problem, only to find out with the next big rain it didn't work.
Ikanizer
AG
Wind direction can be a big influence on roof/wall leaks. I'm working on one now that only occurs when we get a hard north wind. Just when I think I've fixed it we get another front and I find out otherwise.
ravingfans
AG
Thanks--I agree with the storm comments vs water hose. Before I put all the Sheetrock back and repair the floors, I want to be able to detect whether there is any small leak. We've had the roof fixed before and then the floors were damaged slowly over a long period of time. That's why I'm thinking of getting a moisture meter and taking measurements during a dry period and then during after some rain. Even a very tiny leak can do some massive damage.

In our house, the Chimney attaches at the top of a Gable. It is a wall of windows for a cathedral ceiling. It's also been suggested that caulking needs to be redone around the windows. We also have French doors and that could be another source. Hence the reason I'm trying to figure out how to test...
lotsofhp
AG
I agree water testing the chimney may not replicate the leak but I do think water testing the windows will work.
will.mcg
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

Gary79Ag said:

Quote:

Water hose...
I wouldn't trust a water hose for a test. It can't duplicate storm / heavy rain conditions.

I had the same problem with a poor flashing job around a chimney. The result was damaged sheetrock. A roofer repaired what he thought was the problem. I waited until the next significant storm to find out. The leak was only partially fixed as water still came in. Roofer went up again and repaired a different area. Waited for another storm before deciding the issue was fixed. Then I repaired the drywall.

Unfortunately, the process took several months as we were in a drought and storms were few and far between.

A water hose doesn't have the pressure, wind, etc. You may think you have it corrected, fix the interior problem, only to find out with the next big rain it didn't work.
Pressure washer...
BrazosDog02
AG
Water hose is the way to test and pinpoint leaks. I had a similar leak but it was a mortar issue not flashing.
Wildman15
AG
Always have a LEGIT roofer check out your roof. But, also understand the roofer is there trying to get a sale. A water hose wont necessarily replicate storm situations. The more reputable the roofer, the better off you will be.
lotsofhp
AG
How is the attic access in that part of the house? You can learn a lot if you can make your way to the chimney from the attic and look at the decking all around it
ravingfans
AG
lotsofhp said:

How is the attic access in that part of the house? You can learn a lot if you can make your way to the chimney from the attic and look at the decking all around it

It is a Gable roof next to the fireplace, so no attic there. The Sheetrock is partially exposed, but so high it is difficult to see anything.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.